If ever I were to enjoy performing

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

If ever I were to enjoy performing

Post by MaryAnn »

I'm listening again to some Minozil stuff on Youtube. The only times I've had fun performing were when silliness was combined with the music. The rest is far too serious for me to enjoy actually performing; playing, yeah, but performing, nah. Silliness somehow works. Like, I have a recording of three of us playing Bugler's Holiday just reading off the trumpet parts as if they were horn parts. It was great fun, and we ripped, too. And back in the bluegrass days, doing funny as hell stuff with Orange Blossom Special was the favorite.

I wonder often why the enjoyable silliness seems to be a European thing.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: If ever I were to enjoy performing

Post by Three Valves »

I’m not so sure.

Marching band was a real hootenanny!!

USA, USA!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I don't mean to sound philosophical or faux-altruistic by this post. This is how I really feel: I really enjoy playing music. I enjoy not only the music itself, but everything that goes with it: the choice of instrument for the repertoire and group I am playing in, the people in the ensemble, the discussions about interpretation of what is on the score/lead sheet/chord and vocal part, etc.; and yes, all the technical aspects of how an instrument works and even the minutiae that goes along with that, whether a brass instrument, electric instrument, or whatever. But the best part is that during the week, my day job involves helping people manage problems in their lives. So any occasion where I can help people enjoy life rather than just helping them dig out of whatever, I truly appreciate.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

What iiipopes said + Infinity!

I also enjoy being a tuba player because most of us take our art seriously but have a sense of humor.

Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Mark E. Chachich wrote:What iiipopes said + Infinity!

I also enjoy being a tuba player because most of us take our art seriously but have a sense of humor.

Mark
I like to think i take my humor seriously with a sense of art, at least if it isn't too much trouble.

But hold the pickle.

And keep the change.
Thanks for playing!
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Three Valves wrote:I’m not so sure.

Marching band was a real hootenanny!!

USA, USA!!

:tuba:
I was SO glad in high school that I played violin and did not have to do marching band in those heavy wool uniforms. Every year one or more people would faint due to the heat. It didn't appear to be fun for them, then, but more of a "have to do this if I want to be in the band." And here, where it is even hotter, I can't imagine how they can stand it in 105 degree heat.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Fully agreed with those who just love making music and making people happy. It's why I love doing wedding dances on bass or bone - seeing people get out on the floor and react to/join with what I'm putting into the air. Same thing for free-wheeling dixieland music, or just being silly between shows. 'Serious' concerts are a fun change, and doing an offertory in church is great fun as well. Marching was a riot. I don't care if it's my tuba, my tenor tuba/baryton, one of the guitars downstairs, the piano at my mom's wedding, or the nose flute in my underwear drawer - if my musical sound brings a smile, I'll smile inside, too.
Tim
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

MaryAnn wrote:... And here, where it is even hotter, I can't imagine how they can stand it in 105 degree heat.
They're not often in wool, any more, at least. Rehearsals in August and September are still hard, but the high school bands near me have very informal "uniforms" for the hottest games and performances, and band directors take heat stress pretty seriously. By the time they get to contests, the weather is much better. Seems like even some college bands have relaxed uniforms for hot games, now.
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I predict the downfall of the good ol’ USA will be traced directly to indoor sports venues.

When I was a kid, it was never too hot to play baseball or to cold to play football, OUTDOORS!!

“Too hot for band camp” :roll:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Silliness, or even comedy, is hard. If you don't get it right, it's uncomfortable, not funny.

Most often, too, the group doesn't know the music well enough to put the pages away and engage with the audience.
MaryAnn wrote:I wonder often why the enjoyable silliness seems to be a European thing.
And I've wondered this, too. Somehow we've relegated band and symphonic instruments -- i.e., anything besides guitars, saxophones, and turntables -- to this "Serious Music World" where if you're not as good as the Chicago Symphony, you suck.

It blows my mind. My uncle, when his college alma mater's football team scored a touchdown on TV, would run with his trombone into the front yard and honk out a verse of the fight song.