Charlottesville.....

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Charlottesville.....

Post by MaryAnn »

Once I get here permanently, which I do not know when twill be but hopefully within the month....any toobists here? I'm going to be on staff at an institute in Faber working on audio technology in my "spare" time and do not know how much music I'll even try to do, but if anybody here is there I'd still love to meet up and "do lunch." Just because. Toobists are special.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Charlottesville.....

Post by Three Valves »

I thought you were moving to Gainesville??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Nope. Charlottesville. Been in the works very seriously since last June, on the "want list" for a couple of years. I have excellent friends there, am associated as "staff" with an institute in Faber, and find that I am much better suited to that climate than the ongoing blast furnace I have lived in for the last 32 years.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Well that’s nice, Charlottesville is a great place!! I used to work at the Physical Rehab facility in Waynesboro to the West. Good luck on your search. Definately plan on going to Ft. Myer next year!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

We lived in Charlottesville last year - there's a vibrant scene. The Charlottesville Municipal Band is extremely well funded (raised over $1M while I was there last year) and has their own building. The conductor, Steve Layman, is a tubist and There's at least 3 tubas in the band - I'm sure room for more. That's a group pretty much open to anyone who wants to join. I played bass trombone with them. There's also the Massanutten Brass band up at James Madison University, about an hour away. That's a very high level group conducted by tuba professor Kevin Stees, and they are limited by brass-band rules to 4 tubas. They had room for me on second trombone and It was really challenging lit. I also heard about the Valley Wind Ensemble that was somewhat local, but still a little bit of a drive. I also got to play in the Charlottesville Symphony on Euphonium for Planets. That's a hybrid UVA/Student and Faculty group. You'll find plenty of places to play, that's for sure!
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Will Jones wrote:There's also the Massanutten Brass band up at James Madison University, about an hour away. That's a very high level group conducted by tuba professor Kevin Stees, and they are limited by brass-band rules to 4 tubas.
Are you sure about that rule? I can't find it anywhere.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Will Jones wrote:We lived in Charlottesville last year - there's a vibrant scene. The Charlottesville Municipal Band is extremely well funded (raised over $1M while I was there last year) and has their own building. The conductor, Steve Layman, is a tubist and There's at least 3 tubas in the band - I'm sure room for more. That's a group pretty much open to anyone who wants to join. I played bass trombone with them. There's also the Massanutten Brass band up at James Madison University, about an hour away. That's a very high level group conducted by tuba professor Kevin Stees, and they are limited by brass-band rules to 4 tubas. They had room for me on second trombone and It was really challenging lit. I also heard about the Valley Wind Ensemble that was somewhat local, but still a little bit of a drive. I also got to play in the Charlottesville Symphony on Euphonium for Planets. That's a hybrid UVA/Student and Faculty group. You'll find plenty of places to play, that's for sure!
Thank you! that is wonderful information. I'm looking forward to finally pulling this off and maybe having a retirement that doesn't consist of sitting in front of the AC for seven months a year watching Dr Phil.
Tubaru
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaru »

There is the Albemarle County Community Band which I have played with. It's intended as a band for teachers and county employees but would welcome anybody. They meet on Tuesday evenings during the school year and could probably use a tuba. There is also the Stonewall Brigade Band in Staunton. They have been desperately needing tubas for several years. The last season I played with them I was the only tuba for most concerts. I hear they have one or two regulars at the moment but they could always use more. Rehearsals for them are during the fall, winter and spring and most concerts are outdoors in the summer. Both of these have info online just look them up by their name.
Wessex Chicago-York CC
Wessex Linz F
Wessex Dolce EP100GB
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Thanks I actually already know about that one and was planning to start there and see where I get invited after that. I said I was interested in horn, tuba, or oboe and the conductor said I'd be welcome on any of them.

Right now Cville plans are on hold because the person who had committed to help me move (a major undertaking with my current lack of physical ability to do almost everything) just had a major death in the family and understandably had to renege, so I am basically trying to find my rear with even one hand while I try to get another solution in place.