a thread for those who have submitted under 10 posts total:

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: a thread for those who have submitted under 10 posts tot

Post by roweenie »

Per day?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

What about someone that other users wish had only submitted under 10 posts total? :oops:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

windshieldbug wrote:What about someone that other users wish had only submitted under 10 posts total? :oops:
You can not get your life back. I already asked. :cry:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Birdo
lurker
lurker

Post by Birdo »

Unfortunately I’m really bad at small talk. Even the polar-vortex topics can’t get me to talk about the weather. :P
Ann Reid
bugler
bugler

Post by Ann Reid »

My first post. I was encouraged by my professors when I finished my BA to continue forward to a professional career, and didn’t do it.
Very recently, a family situation has encouraged me to renew a lost interest in low brass, and see how far I can get.
I’m familiar with low brass orchestral and wind ensemble literature, and looking (unsuccessfully, so far) for a teacher who will take students who are very musical, very old, and female.
I have the funds to buy myself a nice comfortably sized tuba when one comes along, and this time I won’t give up.
Thank you for so many enlightening and fascinating posts about this amazing instrument.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Hello and welcome to our mob!

That is quite a plan - good luck. I'm sure you understand it probably won't be easy but worthwhile goals usually aren't easy to achieve. Finding a "comfortable" instrument shouldn't be too hard. If you tell us roughly where you live somebody may be able to help you find that teacher.

All the best.
Free to tuba: good home
Tink5775
lurker
lurker

Post by Tink5775 »

Ditto?
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I submitted under 10 posts total (although that was some time ago).

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

I was a bassoon player in high school and college, so I played sousaphone during marching season. In college, I also played tuba in some small ensembles, because the university would lend me a real tuba. I escaped university with an engineering degree, and because all my band instruments were school owned, I also ended up without any horns. After a few years of borrowing tubas, I've finally bought a very old BBb 186 that I'll use to get back in musical shape and into some community groups.

The horn is basically sound, but needs a little help. For example, the tuning slide is lopsided.

I assume this is not normal. Is a replacement easy to come by? Does a modern 186 tuning slide fit a mid-60s horn?
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Nicely photographed!
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

Donn wrote:Nicely photographed!
Thanks. I'm better at that than tuba playing, at the moment. This was just on the kitchen counter with a four year old iPhone, so I think the fairly neutral medium shade background helps the phone guess at exposure and color balance.

Looks like this is my 10th post, so just squeaked into this thread.
John Morris
NDCompuGeek
bugler
bugler

first post

Post by NDCompuGeek »

New to the board, first post, so I guess I qualify....

My current musical goals indicate that I need a hard case for my tuba and bell so I can get it to a reputable repair shop. I haven't played or maintained the poor thing for almost 10 years, so I don't even want to think about what's going on in the valves or elsewhere. I know I want to keep the horn; it's got some great memories of high school, college, and my private instructor who has since passed away, and I love the way it plays (played?).

I've been thinking about the love of music I had when younger, and I'm trying to reacquire some of that passion again. Tuning pianos and programming databases is fine, but I loved playing the tuba, and I guess I want to get some of that back.
  • York Master BBb 4V FA tuba
    Barrington BBb 4V FA tuba
    York Master Bb 3V FA euphonium
    Pan American Bb 3V FA euphonium
    A LeComte & Cie Eb alto "peck" horn
    York master F French horn
    Barrington Bb trumpet
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

Well, of course the unbalanced tuning slide was not normal...

A local repair shop was able to replace the sawed off tube, fix the dodgy water key, and get the very odd crumpled dents out of the tubing just above the water key. So now I have no excuses and had better get to work playing again.
John Morris