Android and non-data non-wifi GPS

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Android and non-data non-wifi GPS

Post by MaryAnn »

Such a thing exists? I have an older Android (Moto G) that I use only for taking pictures and because it has a good alarm on it. I email pictures to myself from it when I visit somewhere that has free wifi. I don't use it as my phone.

However....taking a trip soon, complicated drive in unfamiliar territory. I have a Garmin but have not updated it since I bought it in 2016. I've read that updating can screw it up completely, and I'd rather have it mostly functional rather than non-functional. So....is there an Android app that I can use for a GPS that does not require a data plan? I can't figure out how it would know where I am without being able to access satellite data, so doubt if such a thing exists. Please remember that the the phone is way smarter than I am. I can tell you how to avoid voltage collapse in your electrical transmission system but am an idiot with electronics.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Android and non-data non-wifi GPS

Post by Donn »

Try some of this and see if it works: How to use your Smartphone as the Best Backpacking GPS.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Thanks. Looks possible.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

You could find an "old" GPS device to be rather inaccurate. In the last month or so there was a clock reset for GPS satellites.
As "time" is a critical factor in the system the receiver must be in sync with the satellites. When this change occurred the Aust. Met Bureau had to stop launching weather balloons as the GPS receivers used on them could not adjust to the clock.
change on the senders and location data was very inaccurate.

Probably better to update your Garmin.
Free to tuba: good home
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Ken Herrick wrote:You could find an "old" GPS device to be rather inaccurate. In the last month or so there was a clock reset for GPS satellites.
As "time" is a critical factor in the system the receiver must be in sync with the satellites. When this change occurred the Aust. Met Bureau had to stop launching weather balloons as the GPS receivers used on them could not adjust to the clock.
change on the senders and location data was very inaccurate.

Probably better to update your Garmin.
Aaaack.