50 worst

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
NDCompuGeek
bugler
bugler

Re: 50 worst

Post by NDCompuGeek »

My cousin had a Prowler. Not a performance vehicle by any standard, but a fun cruiser nonetheless.

Wife is is still looking for a PT Cruiser. '08 Touring Convertible. With the turbo, it's really not that under powered. Again, not a performance vehicle, but a fun cruiser.

A friend had a red Chevette. Used to call it his ♪ "little red Chevette" ♪ (think Prince "Little Red Corvette") Actually his was perfect for a college student in Columbus in the mid 80's. He even changed the timing belt in the parking lot. Twice.

One that I think should be on the list is the '01-era Pontiac Grand Am. Severely under-powered with a little 4-banger, didn't even have a dipstick to check the transmission, the center console broke within 6 months of owning the thing, the inside door handles worked half the time, the list could go on. The car was made to be disposable.
  • York Master BBb 4V FA tuba
    Barrington BBb 4V FA tuba
    York Master Bb 3V FA euphonium
    Pan American Bb 3V FA euphonium
    A LeComte & Cie Eb alto "peck" horn
    York master F French horn
    Barrington Bb trumpet
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I would defend the DeSoto Airflow, MGA twin-cam, Lotus Elite and Corvair.
But I’m just an old Porsche racer who tried to move a mountain, so what do I know? :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Mark Finley wrote:They showed a 65 Corvair, but the bad corvair was the one built until 1964. they got much better with the next generation.
They got better in 1964, the way I remember what I read about this. That model year tacked something on underneath that dealt with the problem. Which may not have been exceptionally bad anyway. Its defenders say it was really about as safe as the Mustang, which admittedly may have set a low bar, but it handled differently because of the weight in the rear. Initially wasn't intended to be a sports car, more like an American VW, but owners made it into one and GM did need something to put against the Mustang. Its main handling defect had something to do with the rear wheel buckling under when pulled sideways, and sometimes that turned into a flip. GM didn't handle it right and Nader crucified them, so it's the most well known stability defect ever, but today it's just unsafe like any old car of that era. If owning unneeded cars weren't major expense and trouble, I'd have a convertible Corvair, probably '64.

I believe someone in my general neighborhood has an Amphicar, drives it onto the lake once in a while and generally seems to have a lot of fun with it. Worst car, whatever - it handles better in deep water than most other cars, you can say that for it.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I didn't click through all of the pages... someone mentioned the PT Cruiser...

When the PT Cruiser first came out, it was very popular. I was in HS or just out (I forget)... but my friend's mom got one as soon as it was available, and on back order in short supply.

Someone saw her car and really wanted it, and didn't want to wait to buy a new one months later... so he offered my friend's mom more $ than she paid for it, to buy it from her.

Friend's mom took the deal and sold him the car... then went back to the dealership to buy another PT Criuser (and wait a few months for delivery). She profitted a few thousand $, IIRC.

I never liked that car, but it was pretty cool she made some money off of it!
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I don't know why they do that stuff. Of course I had to compare to the '50 Plymouth wagon I was driving at the time. Maybe the designs lose a lot in the wind tunnel phase. Same thing with my old Volvo 1800ES - supposed inspiration for the uninspiring C30.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Well, I don't understand how the Ford Model T made it on that list (actually I do, but I'll save my sarcasm for another time).

At one time, half of the automobiles on the planet were Ford Model Ts - when it was first produced in 1908, it was actually innovative and advanced for its time (vanadium steel, planetary transmission, uni-block cylinders, etc.). I also noticed it made the list without any explanation as to why.

Mine is 95 years old, let's see any other marque top that longevity.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

nworbekim wrote:the Pinto... i bought one right out of college and drove it to death

With the gas tank placement a lot of people drove them to death... unfortunately the hard way :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

I feel like I'd have to lay down in #29, and even then my feet would be sticking out the back.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

I have seen numerous of these lists, and the reputation of many of the vehicles does not necessarily represent the actual reality. Just like in politics, once people start repeating something enough times it is taken as “fact” even if there is little factual basis.
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

MartyNeilan wrote:Just like in politics, once people start repeating something enough times it is taken as “fact” even if there is little factual basis.
#fakenews
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

My parents had a Pacer back in the day. What I remember most is how it would bottom out over any bump or imperfection in the roadway.

I think the shark/monza Corvairs are really neat. And affordable to this day!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

windshieldbug wrote:
nworbekim wrote:the Pinto... i bought one right out of college and drove it to death

With the gas tank placement a lot of people drove them to death... unfortunately the hard way :shock:
Are we sure??

Perhaps the most illuminating data comes from NHTSA fatality rates per million vehicles for 1975 and 1976. In the published chart, the Pinto is responsible for 298 deaths per million cars in 1975, making it on par with the Chevrolet Vega (288) and Datsun 510 (294), but considerably safer than the Datsun 1200/210 (392), the Toyota Corolla (333) and the VW Beetle (378). In 1976, the Pinto’s 322 deaths per million cars was slightly higher than the Chevrolet Vega (310) and AMC Gremlin (315), but better than the Datsun 510 (340), the Datsun 1200/210 (418) and the VW Beetle (370).
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:This was my 66. Fun little car. I blew the engine on the highway because I forgot it wasnt a porshe 911. It was closer to a VW bug
The early ones - declared by the ArbiterOfTRVTH guy as dangerous - were the prettiest-looking ones...in my opinion:

Your opinion stinks :!:

Mark’s ‘66 is way, WAY cooler!! 8)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Three Valves wrote:Mark’s ‘66 is way, WAY cooler!! 8)
That '66 is cooler than the average car, but the original Corvair look is the real classic.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Donn wrote:
Three Valves wrote:Mark’s ‘66 is way, WAY cooler!! 8)
That '66 is cooler than the average car, but the original Corvair look is the real classic.
So was Cher before her nose job.

That doesn’t mean the ‘66 wasn’t an improvement. It was!!

Gen II Corvetes were also an improvement.

Don’t argue with me, you are wrong!! :tuba:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

The Brute Squad wrote:
MartyNeilan wrote:Just like in politics, once people start repeating something enough times it is taken as “fact” even if there is little factual basis.
#fakenews
Remember this one from 1993??

In an extraordinary public apology, NBC said Tuesday night that it erred in staging a fiery test crash of a General Motors pickup truck for its "Dateline NBC" news program and agreed to settle a defamation suit filed by the auto maker.

"We deeply regret we included the inappropriate demonstration in our 'Dateline' report," said a statement read by NBC News co-anchors Jane Pauley and Stone Phillips Tuesday night. "We apologize to our viewers and to General Motors. We have also concluded that unscientific demonstrations should have no place in hard news stories at NBC. That's our new policy."

:shock:
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Three Valves wrote:That doesn’t mean the ‘66 wasn’t an improvement.
They threw away a cool, distinctive design, and replaced it with a budget Camaro. If you wanted a Camaro and had to settle for a Corvair instead, I guess it's an improvement. In my youth, too young to drive at the time, I probably would have approved.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I had a ‘68 LeMan in HS.

It was a 4door though...

Mark wins again!!