THE WHO pick up orchestra

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

THE WHO pick up orchestra

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Had fun yesterday as THE WHO rolled into town for the 2nd concert of their North American tour. They are using a pick up orchestra in each city...47 piece, and they bring a violinist and cellist too. And yes....there is a tuba part!!!!!
For anyone going to play it in their city, nothing important, but a few exposed parts...and you have head phones for a click track, so ear plugs not needed. Conductor extremely laid back. Just bring your lightest weight CC tuba....with so many fans, parking far away, tight security, etc......the worst part is dealing with that stuff. Pete and Roger brought the house down.
If you are playing it, have fun with the 'Rock Gods!!'
Mark
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Re: THE WHO pick up orchestra

Post by mikebmiller »

I guess they don't smash guitars any more. Hopefully, they don't smash tubas either.

Speaking of classic rockers, I got tickets to see a Pink Floyd cover band called Brit Floyd in August. I looked them up before buying the ticket (only 1, as my wife doesn't do rock shows). Looks like they are a kick *** band. They are doing the whole Wall album live. I am pretty psyched about that show. It is on a Saturday, and the next day I am going to see Mahler 2 at Brevard. So that will be a musically diverse weekend.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

bisontuba wrote:Hi-
Had fun yesterday as THE WHO rolled into town for the 2nd concert of their North American tour. They are using a pick up orchestra in each city...47 piece, and they bring a violinist and cellist too. And yes....there is a tuba part!!!!!
For anyone going to play it in their city, nothing important, but a few exposed parts...and you have head phones for a click track, so ear plugs not needed. Conductor extremely laid back. Just bring your lightest weight CC tuba....with so many fans, parking far away, tight security, etc......the worst part is dealing with that stuff. Pete and Roger brought the house down.
If you are playing it, have fun with the 'Rock Gods!!'
Mark
47 real musicians get to play. That is good. The circuses and ice shows (do they still exist?) use recorded backgrounds. My HS band director was also a first call sax man from the Seattle Union and he would relate his experiences of playing with various people. Who were easy, who were divas and jerks, etc. He said that, when he played in the circus band, they handed everyone a three inch thick book, they opened the cover, the director brought the stick down and they pretty much played three hours straight. This would have been in the 60s and 70s.

I wish they would go out as "Daltrey and Townshend" rather than "The Who. Without Moonie and The Ox, it isn't The Who.
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

The Big Ben wrote:I wish they would go out as "Daltrey and Townshend" rather than "The Who. Without Moonie and The Ox, it isn't The Who.
I agree. I saw them a few years ago when they were doing the entirety of Quadrophenia. Pino Palladino was playing bass. He's great, but there's only one Thunderfingers.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Post by mikebmiller »

Most 70's bands that are still touring only have a small percentage of the original players. I saw Chicago and there were 3 original guys left. I read somewhere that there were 2 different versions of the Beach Boys out there. Even back in the 80's, I saw "Blood, Sweat, and Tears" - which turned out to be David Clayton Thomas and a bunch of studio players. They were great, though. My hometown heroes, the Marshall Tucker Band, has one original member left.

I guess for all of these, somebody owns the name and as long as they can play the tunes, most people are happy.
bchev93
lurker
lurker

Post by bchev93 »

mikebmiller wrote:I guess they don't smash guitars any more. Hopefully, they don't smash tubas either.

Speaking of classic rockers, I got tickets to see a Pink Floyd cover band called Brit Floyd in August. I looked them up before buying the ticket (only 1, as my wife doesn't do rock shows). Looks like they are a kick *** band. They are doing the whole Wall album live. I am pretty psyched about that show. It is on a Saturday, and the next day I am going to see Mahler 2 at Brevard. So that will be a musically diverse weekend.
i remember back in 2012 seeing Rodger Waters perfor the walll live in Hartford CT. good show. and for there record the trumpet at the intro for in the Flesh? and for most of Outside The Wall is performed by Rodger himself.

Pink floyd in the late 60's did some hefty expiramentation with brass it seemed. there was one song that never got any commercial success tat had a trombone solo performed in house. and even one clip of what seemed to be waters on a 10J. :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bchev93 wrote:Pink floyd in the late 60's did some hefty expiramentation with brass it seemed. there was one song that never got any commercial success tat had a trombone solo performed in house. and even one clip of what seemed to be waters on a 10J. :tuba:
Also, Atom Heart Mother (1970) featured the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble pretty heavily.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

The Brute Squad wrote:
The Big Ben wrote:I wish they would go out as "Daltrey and Townshend" rather than "The Who. Without Moonie and The Ox, it isn't The Who.
I agree. I saw them a few years ago when they were doing the entirety of Quadrophenia. Pino Palladino was playing bass. He's great, but there's only one Thunderfingers.
Kenney Jones is a great drummer also but....
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Last night I was able to sing in the back-up choir for a Neil Diamond Tribute show, and it was a riot. All the professionals were extremely kind, courteous, helpful. The choral parts were quite easy (a lot of "Ha...Ha.......HAAAAAAA! Oh Yeah..."), but the sold out crowd enjoyed having local friends on stage. FWIW, at 60 yrs old I may have been the youngest in the choir. Professionals included Jeff and Tommy Vee (sons of Bobby Vee) and Matt Vee (nephew of Bobby). Fun side note - one of the 2 trumpet players was a young man I'd performed with in a couple of local swing bands when he was in high school and I was teaching in a neighboring town. Was good to visit and catch up. Anyhow, I'll now be watching for other local opportunities like this - low key and a lot of fun.