Diet drinks? yes/no?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Re: Diet drinks? yes/no?

Post by The Brute Squad »

I've almost completely given up all soda, diet or otherwise, few a few years now. I have one on the rare occasion, but that's about it.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Pop/soda, diet or otherwise, doesn't do much to quench my thirst.

Water. Out of the tap for me.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Diet drinks?? Sure. With moderation. Just like everything else!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Post by jpwell »

My wife gets seizures from aspartame. No amount of diet soda is good for you. Who needs the salt either. I switched to water years ago.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Water can be pretty economical, too, if you're OK with drinking it out of the tap. It seems to me that when I was younger, it was easier to find drinking fountains. There were fountains out on the sidewalk on major streets, that aren't there now. Fountains in public buildings and private. The west is drying up.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

nworbekim wrote:
i read once that the 2nd greatest marketing achievement in the history of retail was convincing people that bottled water was better, and the GREATEST marketing achievement in the history of retail was convincing people that one brand is better than another... if i have to buy bottled water i usually go to the wally world and buy the cheapest. there's one that is 50 cents a bottle where the rest are over a dollar.
Look closely at the bottled water the next time you're at the store. Many brands have on the label (in very small print, obviously) the following language: "Source: Public Water Supply - Dallas, TX." They claim to filter it again and add minerals "for taste" but it's basically bottled tap water. There is nothing "spring water" or "artesian" or "untouched by man" about it...
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Post by jpwell »

Lots of water supplies private wells, and public water supplies have ammonia in them. Some towns even add it, yuck. +1 for ro water.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Dew is for hangovers...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

jpwell wrote:My wife gets seizures from aspartame. No amount of diet soda is good for you. Who needs the salt either. I switched to water years ago.
Aspartame gives me visual migraines.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditio ... graine.htm" target="_blank

I've had no issues (so far) with saccharin, but I don't know if any diet sodas still use it.

YMMV
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Goslings diet Ginger Beer for dark and stormy??

It’s Three Valves approved!!
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

If you go through the alternative medical literature, you'll find evidence that artificial sweeteners are a cause of diabetes.....and of brain damage. I'll go thirsty before I'll drink one.
The only thing I can find that I'll drink is Mexican coke, which is available here near the border and is not made with high fructose corn syrup, another thing I won't touch. Fructose is also bad for you, and likely has the known carcinogen glyphosate in it. There isn't much out there that is packaged that I'll buy and consume. Not to even mention the chemical taste bloke referred to. Bleah! Water, water......
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

roweenie wrote:Aspartame gives me visual migraines.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditio ... graine.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I've had no issues (so far) with saccharin, but I don't know if any diet sodas still use it.

YMMV
Aspartame sometimes causes my osteoarthritis to flare up, and it's horrible when it does.

TaB cola, which is sweetened with a saccharin/aspartame blend, doesn't bother my arthritis. Consuming it in a public place, however, seems to draw an inordinate amount of attention and unsolicited comments along the lines of "Doesn't that stuff cause cancer?" and "I had no idea they still made that."

I love coffee, but regular coffee gives me leg cramps after two or three cups.

Lately, I've been drinking Cafe du Monde coffee with chicory, which I can drink all day without cramps. Jackpot!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

“Saccharin causes cancer”

“DDT kills birds”

“A modern Ice Age is coming”

“Corvairs and Pintos are unacceptably deadly”

“Ethanol in you gas is ecologically sound and good for National Defense”

Skepticism is good for you!! :lol:
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Yeah, and the time for skepticism is when they show up with cans of stuff that never had any nutritional value in the first place, with the sugar replaced by other chemicals that in some way taste sweet, and say "buy this stuff from us and drink it - for your health!"
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

My drinking choices are water (from the tap, and usually filtered through a Britta filter in the fridge, to remove the taste of chemicals added to the water to make it safe to drink), coffee (made with tap water), and Beer and Wine. It's been a long time since I've had a soda, and if I did it's such a rare treat I would probably go for one made with real sugar. I've given up hard liquor because it goes down to fast and easy, and I tend to over do it, and I should cut back on my coffee consumption.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

nworbekim wrote:I think i'm ditching them... the artificial sweeteners are suspect, each 12 oz of diet drink has an average of about 50 mgs of sodium... i keep reading that it is thought that the brain's reaction to artificial sweeteners is about the same as to the real stuff and it kicks in the same chemicals to process it the same....

so... as much as i like the diet mountain dew's... i think i'm through
Good. Ditch them. Artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar, and sugar is bad enough.

Anecdote: Heard from a soda deliveryman, the kind who brings those big tanks of carbonated water and syrup to places like fast food joints, that he'd frequently replace the feed hoses that carry diet drink syrup to the dispenser machines. Asked why, and he said that the chemicals in the diet syrup deteriorate the hoses. The regular sugared syrup wasn't nearly as damaging, so those hoses lasted a lot longer.

Here's what's good for you, in order of goodness:
- Water
- Tea, unsweetened
- Coffee, black
- .... maybe some milk-like drinks, like almond milk, but the jury hasn't even deliberated properly
-

That's it.

Oh, and bottled water? They're selling you oil, repurposed as plastic... not water.
Tremozl
lurker
lurker

Post by Tremozl »

I have a hiatal hernia that causes me chronic reflux / heartburn with basically anything I drink or eat at all - if you have it bad enough you'll learn what "moderation" really means. And it would open your eyes up to how much we punish our digestive systems in the 21st century.

So when it comes to any carbonated acidic potentially caffienated beverage, whether it has sugar or not - moderation is key. If you're not a diabetic and you don't abuse your pancrease (such as drinking a lot of alcohol), have some real soda. You only live once, enjoy it - but enjoy it in moderation, lest ye reap the unforeseen consequences.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Depending on your situation (which I don't know) there are chiropractors who can put back a hiatal hernia, and some who can teach you to do it.