Pirelli tires

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Pirelli tires

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Bought my first set of Pirelli tires today for my Vibe...Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus....anybody use these before? Pros/Cons?
Tnx
Mark

PS. From a lady who bought them new and put 100 miles on them and wanted larger rims and tires to customize her car...these still have part of the new stickers on them and each came in the original Pirelli Plastic bags too....
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Pirelli tires

Post by bisontuba »

I had thought of Toyo and others, but got the four for $225...literally brand new. Of course need to be put on rims, balanced, new stems, but with that and NYS Inspection this month, figured a good deal....
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

I have seen mixed reviews ...some swear by them, and others not. But if you don't rotate your tires and keep your car aligned, no tire will wear well......
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

bisontuba wrote:I had thought of Toyo and others, but got the four for $225...literally brand new. Of course need to be put on rims, balanced, new stems, but with that and NYS Inspection this month, figured a good deal....
I had a similar experience years ago- saw a set of four Pirellis on my mechanic's used-tire rack. They were the same size as on the 86 Ford Ranger I had at that time and looked almost new. Turned out they were involved in a divorce case- judge awarded the husband's car to the wife, so the husband replaced the Pirellis with the cheesiest rim-protectors he could find, just for spite. So I bought them, and when it was time for a new set I had him put them on. I forget exactly what model they were, but they handled beautifully.

And I was almost certainly the only Ranger driver in the Baltimore area who had Pirellis on his truck.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:In the past, Pirelli had a reputation of "nice when new, but quick-wearing".

Is that reputation still connected to this brand ?
Is that reputation warranted ?

I was offered some $50 tires as well...as well as some $75 tires.

I believe (having - throughout my life - been one who "got by"...including $15 Sears retreads on my first car), I'm tending to react against my former self.
Depends on how hard you drive corners and turn local and regional streets and highways into race tracks. Most people think the hard compound of Pirelli's equates to more miles, but it doesn't.

Seriously, I have mostly been a Michelin man for the Jaguars I have owned over the years, including the 1967 E-type convertible the judge gave to the ex, a 1986 XJ-6 which I had to sell for a front-wheel drive as a daily driver to deal with the ice in winter, and my current toy, 2003 XK-8 convertible. The reason is the sidewalls: since I do not turn the local roads into my personal race track, the Pirelli's have a reputation of stiff sidewalls, while the Michelin's have a slightly softer sidewall that translates to better ride and may actually grip better in some circumstances when the roads aren't perfectly smooth and dry.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K