the downsizing has begun

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Re: the downsizing has begun

Post by Big Toot »

I am still living in my first purchased home. The thought of moving and trying to time the whole selling while buying thing scares the bejesus (sp?) out of me. It's just me and my son, so I don't have anybody pressuring me to buy a different house, luckily.
Best of luck with everything.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Living in the same place for that long kind of freaks me out. My wife and I are both the kind of people who enjoy moving every 5-10 years to keep things fresh, new, and interesting. The idea of living in a house for 30(+) years just has no appeal to me. Was funny to sign a 30 year mortgage, becuase the whole time I know I'll only last about 5 years here. Good news is, property values around here have skyrocketed. 4 years ago, it was a lot of abandoned buildings and parking lots. Now, everything has been developed or is in progress to get developed. We got lucky.

Wherever we move though, I guess we'll have to plan ourselves for about 15 years so the kids can have a stable home during school years. But once the youngest goes off to college, we'll probably move again!
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

nworbekim wrote:i guess i'm ready... i've lived on this place for 30 years and am getting to the point i dread getting up in the morning because of the work waiting for me that day.

we've been watching a house for several months and the price has been reduced a couple of times, wifey feels like it's time to strike.

i have to admit i'm terrified... i haven't owed anybody anything for 20 years. the thought of it gives me the shakes...

but she wants to go ahead and buy a place and put ours on the market. i'd rather sell, THEN buy... but she's afraid the house she likes will get away so i guess i'll go along.

i've arranged for a bridge loan using the house and 27 acres as security, i'll retain the deed for the remaining 60 acres.

i never thought i'd be doing this at my age... :shock: :cry:
I'll soon be in a similar situation. We've been on this land for 23 years now (and in the neighborhood for 33), planning to retire in just a few more, and move closer to the kids (but still out in the country). Re: "i'd rather sell, THEN buy... but she's afraid the house she likes will get away so i guess i'll go along." I sort of subscribe to "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". Without checking the reference, I believe there's a verse in Proverbs that says "Better to live in a shack with a happy wife than in a mansion with an angry woman." Uff-da. I can be happy in most places - home styles don't mean much to me, as long as I have a little room to breathe outdoors. Don't fret the $$, I'm sure you'll work that out. You'll find your reasons to enjoy the new place.
alfredr
3 valves
3 valves

Post by alfredr »

Ask your state forester (or equivalent) for suggestions as to who could look at your timber to give you a good idea as to what to do. Maybe the state forester does that, maybe he (or she) will recommend a timber buyer or management company. My parents lived on the same farm for over 65 years. Outbuildings filled up with stuff as farming enterprises (dairy, chickens, beef, crops) drew to a close. Now we have to deal with it.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

bloke wrote:At least you're selling in a late 2016 - 2024 economy, rather than a (long-orchestrated - since the mid-1990's - housing crash: 2007 - 2009) 2008 - early 2016 economy.

If you're attached to the house, why not stay, and just sell the farmland?
This
Also, farmers are usually looking for more land to use for crops, so you can get a nice premium for "leasing" your land to them for their use.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:GO !
DO IT!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.