That is a lot of valves

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Re: That is a lot of valves

Post by The Brute Squad »

Wasn't someone making an argument a month or so ago about how the best key for an orchestral tuba is BB? Looks like he got his wish.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
Mark

Post by Mark »

The Brute Squad wrote:Wasn't someone making an argument a month or so ago about how the best key for an orchestral tuba is BB? Looks like he got his wish.
Yes, but it has 25 valves!
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Mark wrote:
The Brute Squad wrote:Wasn't someone making an argument a month or so ago about how the best key for an orchestral tuba is BB? Looks like he got his wish.
Yes, but it has 25 valves!

Even using Pure Intonation, there has to be some combination that always leads to maximum resonance in ANY key! :tuba:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

I may be wrong, but doesn't B in German mean Bb? Also, doesn't H in German mean B natural? Thus, if an instrument is really in BBb, it would be shown as BB. And, an instrument in BB natural would be shown as HH.

Ace
umlaut_kraut
bugler
bugler

Post by umlaut_kraut »

From the watermarks in the pictures, I'd rather guess that these horns are produced in India. I've never heard of "Queen Brass" before, and I guess I don't care to find out more,

That said,
Ace wrote: I may be wrong, but doesn't B in German mean Bb? Also, doesn't H in German mean B natural? Thus, if an instrument is really in BBb, it would be shown as BB. And, an instrument in BB natural would be shown as HH.

Ace
is correct, except that we don't use double-Bb or C. To us, tubas are simply in Bb, C, Eb or F.

On a somewhat related note, I play bass guitar in a big band and sometimes with the backing band of a gospel choir. Big band charts are usually written using English chord symbols, but in choir music, that often makes me play a bunch of wrong notes until I switch back to German mode :?