Unwanted Adobe announcements

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Unwanted Adobe announcements

Post by Ace »

Help! Grrr! How do I get rid of these darn, incessant announcements on my screen about Adobe Flash Player upgrade downloads? I have tried various "solutions" found on the internet, but none work.

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Unwanted Adobe announcements

Post by Ace »

Mark Finley wrote:no idea what you mean. are they pop ups on this site?
No complaint here. Not on this site. I'm just seeking advice in general from some of the bright tekky people on this site.

Ace
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

Nobody should be using it anymore. Adobe has stopped supporting it and will sunset it sometime in 2020.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

the elephant wrote:You are visiting sites that persist in not updating their software. If they require you to use Flash Player then don't go there. Flash is a nasty security risk.
Hadn't thought of these points: Good, helpful info. Think I'll get rid of it now.
Free to tuba: good home
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

It sounds like something I've been getting, on a site that has ads (and terrible software.) Very intermittently, this message pages pops up. What I'm guessing happens, is that one of the ads comes off the queue, tries to put Flash to work, and when it doesn't work (because it isn't installed), it throws up this error page. I just return to the original page, and it doesn't bother me again (for a while anyway.)

I doubt there's any fixing it on my end. I'll have to report it to the site admins. Ideally, with the identity of the culprit - I doubt that anyone there is going to screen their ads for Flash brain damage.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Working from one that popped up today, I found this warning online:
bleepingcomputer wrote:A common scam web site is one that states "Adobe Flash Player is out of date" and then prompts you to download an update manager from the site. This update manager is just an adware bundle that will install unwanted programs on the computer.
Which in fact is exactly what it promises to do, in fine print at the bottom of the page.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

My computer is a new HP all-in-one with 23" screen. The message that comes up all too frequently when I change sites reads like this:

Flash not installed.
Adobe Flash Player not installed.
Would you like to install now?
(After the installation is complete, you will need to relaunch your browser.)

Install now. Remind me later.

So, I have never had Flash on my new computer. Thank goodness. Now all I have to do is find some way to eliminate these damn messages that pop up all the time.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Ace