Fixed! TY! Importing .mus into musescore?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Fixed! TY! Importing .mus into musescore?

Post by MaryAnn »

I have a BUNCH of .mus I'd really like to have access to in musescore, which I only downloaded a couple weeks ago. The computer that has Finale has a slightly failing hard drive and I don't want to push it; I have all the .mus files on a thumb drive and would like to be able to at least convert them to pdf without having to go in my ancient mac that has Finale on it. I have hopped around the internet a bit looking but I figure some here would be happy to save me the work and just tell me whether I can or can't (upload .mus to Musescore.) I have Finale 2005b, a very old version, on the equally old iMac.
Last edited by MaryAnn on Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryAnn

Re: Importing .mus into musescore?

Post by MaryAnn »

The point is to not have to go into Finale on the iMac. Its midi is all screwed up anyway and always has been...playback is incorrect.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Thank! I have Notepad on an old laptop and I'll check to see if it can export in MusicXML.
I have only just downloaded Musescore and being a Fnale user am not finding the transition easy, plus in my dotage I just don't have a lot of motivation any more. There are things I'd like to get out there so I can make a web site and sell them for a pittance just to get them out there. My very fine duets never went anywhere even though they should have, and the publisher who has done nothing will not return the copyright even though that was the deal up front.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Got help online for how to do it (downloaded Notepad, imported .mus file, exported as MusicXML, which MuseScore can read) and also got the handbook for MuseScore from someone here. Thank you!!!
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Fixed! TY! Importing .mus into musescore?

Post by scottw »

Great outcome! Glad it's working.
Bearin' up!
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

MaryAnn wrote:Got help online for how to do it (downloaded Notepad, imported .mus file, exported as MusicXML, which MuseScore can read) and also got the handbook for MuseScore from someone here. Thank you!!!
That handbook for MuseScore can be viewed/downloaded at:
https://musescore.org/en/handbook" target="_blank

I really like this platform, having used it since 2014. When I started, I had almost no experience writing using such a tool, just a little scribbling on Encore for my students' lesson stuff, but I had no idea what I was doing. As expected, I had a million questions I asked in the various help forums. Everyone was [and still is!] extremely helpful with their answers, but gently reminding me too that the answers were all in the handbook.
Bearin' up!
MaryAnn

Re: Fixed! TY! Importing .mus into musescore?

Post by MaryAnn »

Now that I have the handbook, I'll just read it. I remember hating Excel when it replaced that other program (Symphony?) because it was harder to use (couldn't play the keyboard like an instrument) and nothing had the name you thought it would, making it impossible to find things in an online manual because you didn't know what to look up. I far prefer paper. I guess I am an old fogey now.