extra mild winter - finding ticks

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Re: extra mild winter - finding ticks

Post by MaryAnn »

I hope you do not have Lyme ticks there. It is a very nasty thing to acquire, and it's the teensy nymphs that transmit it, not the honking big adults.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Re: extra mild winter - finding ticks

Post by tofu »

nworbekim wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:I hope you do not have Lyme ticks there. It is a very nasty thing to acquire, and it's the teensy nymphs that transmit it, not the honking big adults.
i think we have just about whatever kind of tick you can imagine here. we keep an eye on everything and ourselves. my wife had a scare a couple of years ago when a tick bit her and a "target" shaped bruise formed around it. the Dr. gave her lots of anti-biotics and nothing happened.

We have more Deer ticks than anything else. that's MY fault since i have a deer feeding station about 100 yards from the house. i stumbled into what people around here call turkey mites a couple of years ago. they were about the size of the letter D mint mark on a dime. i found them before they did any biting and got them off.
We bring up north to our rescue foster dogs from our partner shelter located in rural TN down by Kentucky. It is amazing how many ticks can attach themselves to a dog. There was one beagle alone back in August that immediately after transport up here had 97 ticks pulled off it. Thankfully, we have a teenage girl who thoroughly enjoys removing ticks and then giving the dogs a bath using Dawn dishwashing soap!