everyone ok?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Re: everyone ok?

Post by scottw »

My niece is safe in Nashville, but no electricity. Tornado came close to her home, but missed.Pictures ugly.
Bearin' up!
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

We lost power for nearly two days but we're otherwise unscathed. Just a few blocks away suffered major tornado damage. The pet shop I had been to only two days before was obliterated. The sales clerk who rang up my order kept counting down to the end of his shift and complaining about working there. I guess he doesn't have to anymore.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Glad to see everyone's checking in as OK, so far...
nworbekim wrote:i was a kid in 1974 when so many tornados hit Ky... it was terrifying. we had NO warnings. power was off, no radio, if it hadn't been for some CB'rs, we wouldn't have know anything. that was when i decided to get my ham radio license. i'm thankful i've never had to use it in an emergency.
Those were the bad old days, when law enforcement had to confirm an actual tornado on the ground before a warning could be issued. Given how difficult it can be to see a funnel cloud at night, this was an recklessly foolish policy which undoubtedly led to many lives being lost.

The real head-scratcher: One of our local TV meteorologists commented on-air that tornadoes were easier to spot with the old black-and-white weather radar than with early color systems. Tornado warnings generated by radar imagery, which is standard practice today, could have been saving lives as far back as the 1960s.

In 1974 we had a tornado outbreak in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We lived about 15 miles from where one went through, and it was scary even from that distance. A farm owned by my aunt and uncle took a nearly-direct hit, and they ended up having to raze a newly-built silo due to the damage. Old-timers swore up and down that it was impossible, as "we don't get tornadoes around here".
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

And again. It hit really hard last evening around 5:30. Many large trees uprooted or split and most streets near me temporarily blocked by downed trees. Fences and carports blown over.
Fortunately I only had a large section split off a tree in the backyard, I cut it up this morning. Fence looked like it was blowing down but only cracks in the crossmembers, the 4x4 posts bent back and forth like a sine wave during the storm. Power came back on late last night for me but others still out; internet still down. My Google Fi service is working but my wife's AT&T was down last night and she couldn't call or text, a cell tower must have been damaged again.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

nworbekim wrote:
MartyNeilan wrote:And again. It hit really hard last evening around 5:30. Many large trees uprooted or split and most streets near me temporarily blocked by downed trees. Fences and carports blown over.
Fortunately I only had a large section split off a tree in the backyard, I cut it up this morning. Fence looked like it was blowing down but only cracks in the crossmembers, the 4x4 posts bent back and forth like a sine wave during the storm. Power came back on late last night for me but others still out; internet still down. My Google Fi service is working but my wife's AT&T was down last night and she couldn't call or text, a cell tower must have been damaged again.
oh my... where are you? probably somewhere in the south? our weather was coming out of the southwest (TN, AL, AR, MO).

i'm thankful to hear you are safe and doing well.
Hermitage, on the eastern side of Nashville - neither expensive nor trendy. NES (power co) said there were 130,000 without power and we were lucky to be amongst the first 30,000 to get it restored. A 2 mile trip last night took over half an hour due to all the road closures from downed trees. NES said the tornado in March only took out 50,000 customers, so these storms were worse in that regard. Still no Internet, so I am burning up data on my phone as a hotspot doing schoolwork today.