a thread for good ideas

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: a thread for good ideas

Post by Three Valves »

“World Time??”

I don’t like the sound of that!! :shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Oh, i's tomorrow?!

Thanks for warning me!
Thanks for playing!
tadawson
bugler
bugler

Post by tadawson »

bloke wrote:Let's be resolved that this upcoming change to "Daylight Savings Time" is the LAST time change that we ever make. These changes are SILLY. Getting up in the dark - in the winter, having school buses pick up children when it's dawning (probably even in northern areas, and even on the edges of the time zones), and finishing up our workdays with - perhaps - a bit of dusky light left in the evening (ie. DST in the WINTER, with Christmas/winter school breaks covering the very shortest days) should work out just fine.
Having grown up in upper (Northern - not any part of ''troll town' under the bridge) Michigan, going to the *late* morning school bus was barely at dawn - the year they tried not changing, sunrise wasn't until halfway through the first class, for what it's worth ... Didn't bug me, but the hoards whined, so it had to die . . . so, now, they continue to come home basically at dusk, with most daylight basically wasted . . .

Not sure there is a 100% solution in the far north winter - there just aren't enough hours to cover both ends . . .

Myself? I could care less . . . the time change is little more than an irrelevant triviality to me . . .
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

That has to do with kiddie's and mommy's and daddy's schedules working out reasonably well together for start and stop times of their whatevers. Me....I'd be perfectly happy with world time as long as it didn't somehow turn into one world gubment.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The original "excuse" for Daylight Savings Time was to "aid" farmers. Having grown up working on a farm, I can tell you all the farmers I knew hated DST.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

I get up near sunrise because that is when the cat alarm starts to mew.

I personally would like to see the guillotine brought back.....wham and it's over; seems immensely more humane than the long drawn out ways we are officially killing people now. Drug em up ahead of time so they are not even aware of what's going on, and get it over with. If I had to go that process would sit fine with me.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:Why can't individual institutions/groups, though, change what time they individually open/close throughout the calendar year, rather than the entire nation/earth changing what they "call" what time it is?
It makes perfect sense to me. The daylight saving gimmick isn't worth the trouble. The thing is, though, when so many people think they want daylight saving all year around, it raises some question as to whether we're really ready to let go of the switch.

If everyone really wants to get up an hour earlier than they have been doing, the schedules we adhere to will certainly migrate in that direction - they aren't imposed on us by natural law, they're just that way because our misguided ancestors thought it made sense. As they sort of do. As nice as it is to have more light in the evening ... at my latitude, with year-round daylight saving time, the winter sun would come up almost 9 AM. The people who study such things feel that we really do set our biological clocks by the sun, and daylight saving is unhealthy in that respect.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

I don't particularly enjoy rush hour traffic.
Is there a daylight savings time schedule that would spread out rush hour over more of the day?

Kind of like more overlapping shifts.
Thanks for playing!
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

Blame the entomologists for buggering up time: The History of DST.

I personally favor GMT/UTC (Greenwich Mean Time/Universal Time Coordinated) as a solution. Then let institutions, organizations, and retirees set their own schedules as they see fit. Keep the government out of it except as they decide their own schedules. The 24 hour clock works well once you learn how to use it. In fact that's the day/night clock I use on my weather web site!
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Buy trip interruption insurance when you book your trip. Not weeks after a world health emergency is declared and the ensuing panic finally sets in. :!:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

MaryAnn wrote:I get up near sunrise because that is when the cat alarm starts to mew.

I personally would like to see the guillotine brought back.....wham and it's over; seems immensely more humane than the long drawn out ways we are officially killing people now. Drug em up ahead of time so they are not even aware of what's going on, and get it over with. If I had to go that process would sit fine with me.
At what hour would the beheadings commence? Daylight, or some arbitrary World Time? Networks would wish to have them scheduled for greatest viewership. Good thing there's streaming video, now!

Tim "let them eat cake" Tuba
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Communication is important, so it is a good idea to know the right word for thing, right?

Plural nouns...

Fish->school.
Wolves->pack.

Tubas-> ????
Thanks for playing!
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

humBell wrote:Tubas-> ????

Tubas = section
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

If anything “controversial” is dragged out of the archive, sanitize it, lock it, and send it to a watery grave!!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I’m putting toilet paper over my transom for Passover this year.

We are just going to start observing now for good measure!!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Practicing is a good idea, right?
Thanks for playing!
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

humBell wrote:Practicing is a good idea, right?

Practice just shows a lack of self confidence... :P
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

My calculator doesn’t go that high, what is $2 trillion/60k??
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

If it saves just one life, it’s worth it!! :roll:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

“You can’t put a price on human life”

That’s odd, because we kinda do that all the time in my industry.

Your widow will do so if you are killed by negligence.

We all do it when we decide how much life insurance to buy.

Or not buy. :lol:

Edited for auto-correct :shock:
Last edited by Three Valves on Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.