So far, what have you hoarded?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: So far, what have you hoarded?

Post by bort »

Unintentionally... body wash/shampoo for my kids. I just counted, and I have at least 11 bottles. Probably more. I'd guess that this could last us around 2 years. :!: :)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

My wife is hoarding vinyl records. The kind so valuable you can go to any yard sale and buy them for $1.

And she has. :roll:

One or two of them are pretty good!! :lol:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Hoarding? Snack crackers; cookies; ice cream; butter toffee peanuts; milk; eggs; breads; canned fish; lots of frozen dinners; water and soft drinks; canned and fresh vegetables; bags of fruit; coffee pods for Keurig machine; ground sirloin patties; tissues and toilet paper; books and videos from library; oh, and yes, trumpets, French horn, tenor and bass trombones, tuba. Lastly, soul-nourishing music CD's featuring Brahms, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Bruckner, Mahler, etc. Also, lots of time set aside for prayers of thanksgiving for my blessings, i.e., freedom-from-want, shelter, good health, wonderful adult daughters and grand daughter, etc. Life is good. So, come and get me you dreadful Coronaviruses. You don't know who you are dealing with. I'll kick your butt!

Ace increasingly deranged in old age
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I find I've been hoarding pens. Yes, pens with ink in them (but, please - not "ink pens"). I find that I keep them even when the ink is nearly gone. Well, not all the time. If they feel great in my hand or are just a little bit unique, I keep them regardless of the amount of ink left in them - because "maybe I'll find the replacement cartridge for it". They are in my office, in my den, on the kitchen counter. Way back when, in college, between security guard gigs, I worked the front desk/night audit at a large hotel in the Chicago suburbs. Always had a hotel pen or two in my pocket. When I got home every night I'd drop the pens in a drawer. A couple of years ago I found them tucked away - a couple hundred of them. Ridiculous. And a number of them still work! So, I guess I've been hoarding for about 40 years. It's a sickness. Then again I always have a pen that works.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:“Ink pen” is it only for people who pronounce the word “pen” just like they pronounce the word “pin”.
And in old-school Baltimore, it's complemented by "lead pencil."
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I have a really nice Gibson J-45 acoustic guitar. I play it seldom, because I rarely gig with it, being primarily a bass instrument player. Gibson discontinued their bright bronze strings, which I think sound better on the J-45's mahogany body than phosphor bronze strings. The day I heard they were discontinued, I bought a dozen sets, and may buy more if I can find them on someone's NOS close out. That should do me for another few years or decades.

I have also been known to purchase multiple sets of bass strings, because it seems that just as I find a set of strings I really, really like for a particular instrument, and particular kind of gig, the next thing I know is the model and gauge I prefer have been discontinued, and I have to do it all over again. This started long, long ago when I played the original version of D'Addario "Reds" bass strings for college jazz band, which had a really nice warmth with definition that I have never found in another set of bass strings for playing an electric bass in a jazz band. I did not care if they turned brown under my fingers, but obviously others did, and pft, they were gone. Others that have been discontinued out from under me:

Gibson steel flatwound guitar strings - finally replaced with DR Legend Flats, although the low E string in the DR set is one gauge too light;
Real Black Diamond guitar strings from long, long ago - never really found a good replacement;
Fender 9050CL flatwounds with the .105 E string - the Ernie Ball regular steel flats are close, and I can get singles, but their sets have weird gauges, and I really want a .105 E string, so I don't purchase the Fender 9050L set with a .100 E string because it feels too light to me, and Fender won't sell single srings like D'Addario, Ernie Ball, GHS, and some others do. The irony of this is in Fender's "golden age," when the V. C. Squier company made Fender strings, every dealer had a box of singles on the counter to replace broken singles, try alternate tunings, etc., and they did so before any other string company did. Digression: that is how light weight electric guitar sets came about: purchase a set of Mapes heavies 13-56, throw out the 56, purchase a "banjo" d-string, which was about a .010, and re-string your electric guitar 10-46.
GHS Super Steels .075 A string - found a NOS cache of Ken Smith singles, same string, different silk, so I can have light gauge Stainless Steel "balanced" bass string sets for those gigs requiring an edged out bass tone;
And the worst of all: GHS discontinuing their Progressives, which I purchased in custom gauges 45-60-80-105, decades before "balanced tension" sets became the rage, and were the only strings I used on my Rickenbacker 4002 (yes, "2," not "1" or "3") since GHS first started making Progressives as their "new" string in the early '90's. Supposedly, they are going to re-formulate them for a more "balanced" feel set this spring so I can purchase sets instead of singles; we'll see. If they do, I might have to budget some major bucks.

So yes, when I find a set of strings for guitar or bass that I like, I buy a lot of 'em. A whole lot. A bookshelf full. Damn, I hate string safaris!
Last edited by iiipopes on Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

iiipopes wrote:...So yes, when I find a set of strings for guitar or bass that I like, I buy a lot of 'em. A whole lot. A bookshelf full. Damn, I hate string safaris!
Oh, man, I am with you there. I still miss the roundwound Fender Studio Bass strings from back in the early 80s...along with the Ibanez Black Eagle bass I had 'em on...and the Fender Super Six combo amp I played thru.

Back then, the Super Six was considered obsolete and not worth fixing if/when it blew...and the Ibanez was looked upon with scorn as something cheap to get by with 'til you could afford something better. My, how times have changed.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

nworbekim wrote:I may be able to help, no promises... a bank foreclosed a music store, there was an auction... i bought a bunch of guitar/bass/band stuff. that was several years ago and i've used/given away a lot of strings. i haven't been able to play for severall years and haven't even looked at that box for a long time. i'll see what i have left and if they're in your wish list. i'm guessing probably not, but you never know.
Thanks!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I seem to be hoarding a lot of wrong notes, and as quickly as I try to shed them the supply seems endless! :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

windshieldbug wrote:I seem to be hoarding a lot of wrong notes, and as quickly as I try to shed them the supply seems endless! :shock:
I can help take some. Probably better tone quality than mine.

Who knows, maybe we can find music where they aren't quite so wrong...

Maybe i can offer a bad joke in return?
Thanks for playing!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I’ve been stockpiling patience and humility for decades.

I still don’t think I have enough so I dole it out ever sparingly...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.