more food

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
WessCollette
bugler
bugler

Re: more food

Post by WessCollette »

Sounds like a good time. Buy a tuba and man a goose elevation device.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Goose elimination devices, size .12 adequate or bumping it up to .10??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Yes, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Yum. Just be careful: I used to live in a subdivision that had a couple of man-made "lakes" (actually, 5-acre shallow ponds) that became a stopping off point for many geese, Canadian and otherwise, as well as other water fowl, including swans and ducks of all kinds. At least once a year, one would fly in that had the band on the leg, which I would lure close enough to read the numbers on it and call it in to the local office of the Conservation Department. And being April, if anything, the spring brood of cygnets was even more cute than the ducklings and goslings.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

The parks department here got tired of them one year (as they do every year) and somehow rounded them up and trucked them across the fairly substantial mountain range to the eastern side of the state. They reportedly got back before the trucks.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Canadian Geese here are super aggressive. Unprovoked they will attack viciously - not intimidated by people at all - even if you tower over them on a bike. Cars - they just stand and stare you down - literally giving you the bird. Can't shoot or harm them here - intentionally.

Their tune does change when my 95 lb Black & Tan Coonhound comes with me to the lab - the minute he steps one foot out of the car - they levitate like they got shot out of a cannon & for as far as the eye can see. Literally thousands of them. They're smart to do so - he actually nailed a bird in mid flight in the back yard last week. That bird had no idea he was that fast and able to leap that high. One big nuisance here at Fermi - as the cooling lakes for the particle accelerator allow them to easily overwinter with all the warmed water and because much of the above ground surface area of the lab is similar to the original 30 farms that were here prior -so lots of forested and open fields - with a sizable portion returned to the original prairie - they are now a huge hoard of permanent year round squatters. No longer migrate south for the winter & are now incredibly territorial - much worse than Canadian Geese I've encountered any where else. They do give respect to the herd of Bison here and keep their distance. A herd of Bison can really move (like 40 mph). Unlike Woody Herman's band - this is one thundering herd you don't want to find yourself in front of! :lol:

O'Hare now regularly deploys a team of border collies to chase them off the areas near the runways as the engine flame outs on take offs from geese intake got very scary a few years back. Kind of funny the low tech stuff the airport employs these days - dogs for the geese, a herd of goats for the grass and more dogs inside for customs, drugs, explosives, contraband like banned foods etc.
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

Years ago I was in a park near Philadelphia. This woman very clearly wanted a picture of the Canada goose gosling. But she didn't want mom in the shot. So she kept trying to grab the mother goose by the neck to move her out of the way so she could take a picture of the gosling. Which absolutely and understandably enraged mother goose. Who proceeded to attack and chase the would-be-photographer for an impressively long time.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I agree with all the above. And add to that the geese leave, um, reminders of their disdain all over the place.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Like so many other places, Canada geese are super-abundant along the San Francisco Bay shoreline. I love these creatures. However, don't mess with them-------they can be be rather aggressive when annoyed. Sweet as they are, their worst characteristic is the indiscriminate dumping of fecal content shaped like small cigars. Their preferred dumping grounds are large grassy areas on public lands such as municipal soccer fields and parks.

Ace
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Our county tried to ride these pests by herding them into tents a gassing them.

The citizens decried the scheme as a goose genocide and it was immediately abandoned.

ISYN

(IShitYouNot)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

[quote="Three Valves"]Our county tried to ride these pests by herding them into tents a gassing them.

The citizens decried the scheme as a goose genocide and it was immediately abandoned.

Apparently, it was legal in Tennessee for Joe to have used a Canada goose for food.

From the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency:
"Landowners have several options for dealing with nuisance wildlife. As a landowner or tenant, you can legally capture some species of nuisance wildlife without a permit if the animal is discovered to be causing damage. Some animals are protected by law.

"You may purchase a live box trap at most garden supply or home improvement stores. Once the animal is captured, you must release or euthanize the animal on your property. If you would like to have the animal released, you must have a permitted ADC operator transport the animal to an approved release site."

Ace
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Free food or pay someone to release it NIMBY??

Well, if I’m paying, it’s goose kabab night!!

If I’m a kale breathed cause-head and someone else is paying, Mr. and Mrs. Goose, if that’s how they identify, get a cab ride to low income permanent housing. :wink:
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

IIRC, Canada geese are still protected by Federal law?

I tried looking up the statute in my state, and I'm more confused than I was before the effort.... :(

It seems I have the same couple in my field that have been here for the past several years - do they mate for life?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Ace wrote:From the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency:
"Landowners have several options for dealing with nuisance wildlife. As a landowner or tenant, you can legally capture some species of nuisance wildlife without a permit if the animal is discovered to be causing damage. Some animals are protected by law.
Tennessee Outdoors News wrote:Canadas are a protected species under state and federal law, but a permit is available from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that allows the destruction of nests, as well as egg addling and egg oiling, which prevents hatching. Permits are available online at epermits.fws.gov/ercgr/gesi.aspx.

One proactive plan is to plant native wildflowers and prairie grasses around your body of water, but any nearby groomed lawn could still be targeted. More information on how to reduce Canada geese conflicts is at wildlife.IN.gov/2996.htm. And do not forget, Tennessee has a resident Canada goose hunting season in September.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Thanks Donn. You read the regs more thoroughly and accurately than did I.

Ace
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Does the federal protection date back to like the 20s or 30s?

Are they still endangered?

My impression from elementary school eduaction is back then, the it was thought to have been hunted to extinction partly because they weren't migrating quite so far south.

In particular, a power plant was keeping the local lake from freezing in Rochester, MN, and they figured that was far enough south. I bet that lake is home to more geese than Minnesota has lakes...
Thanks for playing!
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Not endangered, it's just that they are nominally migratory waterfowl.

When I was looking at it yesterday, I saw no exemption for one's own property.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

For your convenience, the apparently relevant statute:
70-2-204. Hunting and fishing on farm land License exemption to owner, tenants and their spouses and children Proof of compliance.

(a) The owners and tenants of farmlands, and their spouses and children, along with the owners' grandchildren and great-grandchildren under the age of sixteen (16), have the right to engage in the sport of hunting and fishing, subject to all the provisions of all laws or regulations concerning wildlife, upon such lands and waters on the land of which they or their spouses or parents are the bona fide owners or tenants, or in the case of qualified grandchildren or qualified great-grandchildren, their grandparent or great-grandparent or grandparents or great-grandparents are the bona fide owners, with the permission of the landowner, during the season when it is lawful to do so, without procuring a hunting and sport fishing license. Tenants and their spouses and their dependent children must be bona fide residents of the state and must actually reside on the land. Owners and their spouses and children and qualified grandchildren and qualified great-grandchildren must be bona fide residents of the state. Land may qualify as farmland only if it is owned by no more than one (1) individual or a family; provided, that, if land is owned jointly or in common by persons who are first cousins related by blood, then such cousins and their children may hunt small game and fish on such land under the provisions of this subsection (a). “Family” means any combination of kinship within the third degree, including any spouse who has an interest in the property. “Tenant” means an individual who receives compensation, such as free rent or money, for acting either in the place of or at the direction of the landowner in tending to the requirements needed to care for the farmland. The primary purpose of the tenancy shall be agricultural in nature.

(b) Each person claiming a license exemption under subsection (a) shall provide identification and shall submit a signed statement attesting to the exempt status described in the statement and a description of the land and the name of the land owner when requested by an officer of the wildlife agency or upon presenting any game to a check station. Such statement shall contain information sufficient to demonstrate that such person has complied with the requirements of subsection (a). The commission shall prepare a preprinted form for the submission of such statements for convenience of use. Submission of false information in a signed statement is a Class C misdemeanor.

(c) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

[Acts 1951, ch. 115, § 16; 1953, ch. 255, § 2 (Williams, § 5178.45); T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 51-207; Acts 1990, ch. 981, § 4; 1993, ch. 310, §§ 1, 2; 1994, ch. 746, § 1; 2000, ch. 837, § 7; 2001, ch. 75, § 1; 2005, ch. 341, § 1.]
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

..and that’s why people buy ARs.

Poor marksmanship can be made up for with sheer volume!!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.