Face Masks

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 4230
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:44 am
Location: With my fellow Thought Criminals

Re: Face Masks

Post by Three Valves »

I’m more of a Natty Boh T-shirt man, myself...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 4230
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:44 am
Location: With my fellow Thought Criminals

Re: Face Masks

Post by Three Valves »

The virus is real, precautions are reasonable. But I haven’t seen this kind of hysteria since 9/11.

Look what that got us. :(
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
User avatar
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Waiting on a vintage tow truck

Re: Face Masks

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:
roweenie wrote:Where I live, most places (namely grocery stores) won't even let you shop there unless you are wearing a mask - personal choice is not an option, whether wearing one is legally mandatory or not (and I was under the impression it was just an official "recommendation").

The alternative is not eating.
...uh...
Hmm...sure, I've got game here I could hunt, but I'm not quite ready for groundhog and squirrel, just yet.

But I'm doing OMAD anyway, so it wouldn't be too bad.....
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
User avatar
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Posts: 3217
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:58 am

Re: Face Masks

Post by MaryAnn »

Aaaand the video was removed. Under threat presumably. I'm glad I don't have kids and I'm glad that I don't mind leaving the planet at any time.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 4230
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:44 am
Location: With my fellow Thought Criminals

Re: Face Masks

Post by Three Valves »

Non-believers are afraid because they believe this should be heaven. We can strive, with futility, for
“Justice” whilst we are here but, perfection comes later!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
User avatar
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Posts: 3217
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:58 am

Re: Face Masks

Post by MaryAnn »

No matter. I have a very well-fitted respirator from the mold days. And still have cartridges with P100 as part of the protection. So I wear it and look like an alien. But it protects ME from breathing in that stuff. The masks only sort of protect other people from exhaled/coughed/sneezed viral particles, assuming that is what is actually making people sick. That IS an assumption.
User avatar
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 4274
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:55 am
Location: Bottom of Lake Erie

Re: Face Masks

Post by bisontuba »

Anybody going out in public not wearing a face mask these days is playing with fire....
User avatar
bort
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 11113
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:08 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Face Masks

Post by bort »

bisontuba wrote:Anybody going out in public not wearing a face mask these days is playing with fire....
Masks are to keep YOUR germs from spreading to OTHER people. Going out without a mask means pretty much nothing, if YOU are healthy.

And I can't remember the quote exactly who said it, but basically it goes "face masks are better than nothing. They aren't much better than nothing... But they are better than nothing "
Alexander 163 CC
User avatar
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 4274
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:55 am
Location: Bottom of Lake Erie

Re: Face Masks

Post by bisontuba »

bort wrote:
bisontuba wrote:Anybody going out in public not wearing a face mask these days is playing with fire....
Masks are to keep YOUR germs from spreading to OTHER people. Going out without a mask means pretty much nothing, if YOU are healthy.

And I can't remember the quote exactly who said it, but basically it goes "face masks are better than nothing. They aren't much better than nothing... But they are better than nothing "
You can give the virus to someone else...so wear a mask...listen to the CDC...
User avatar
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Lincoln, NE

Re: Face Masks

Post by gwwilk »

Bad data => bad decisions

https://wmbriggs.com/post/30833/" target="_blank

We're still moving forward with no clear picture as to what extent this virus has propagated throughout our populace, yet some oracular Faucinfluencers claim the high ground based upon their 'expertise'. Remember, 'flattening the curve' was the initial goal of mitigation in order to avoid overwhelming our health care system. By any reasonable standard, we've done that.
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
Image
User avatar
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 4274
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:55 am
Location: Bottom of Lake Erie

Re: Face Masks

Post by bisontuba »

So....for those of you who don't wear face masks...have you been tested for Covid? You realize you can be asymptomatic and have it AND give it to others (a carrier).
A friend of mine's son...a R.N...super fitness buff...died of Covid last month at age 31.

A kid 7 years old in town died of it in March.

A 14 year old kid in the County suffered a stroke from it and passed.

A friend down the street in his 60's who is/was a weight lifter and jogger was in ICU for 3 weeks with it....he is home now and so frail his wife helps him walk to the mailbox.

A friend of mine is a geriatrics doctor in Colorado....he has seen the absolute horror of this.

Need I go on? I will listen to scientists and doctors and not listen to fictional news broadcasts and thugs who wear red hats.....and I believe in the importance of safety over the almighty dollar....

P.S. Unlike someone else's post, NY has flattened the curve and the rate is going down...while other states it is rising..I'd rather be the tortoise than the hare.....
User avatar
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Waiting on a vintage tow truck

Re: Face Masks

Post by roweenie »

bisontuba wrote:So....for those of you who don't wear face masks...have you been tested for Covid? You realize you can be asymptomatic and have it AND give it to others (a carrier).
A friend of mine's son...a R.N...super fitness buff...died of Covid last month at age 31.

A kid 7 years old in town died of it in March.

A 14 year old kid in the County suffered a stroke from it and passed.

A friend down the street in his 60's who is/was a weight lifter and jogger was in ICU for 3 weeks with it....he is home now and so frail his wife helps him walk to the mailbox.

A friend of mine is a geriatrics doctor in Colorado....he has seen the absolute horror of this.

Need I go on? I will listen to scientists and doctors and not listen to fictional news broadcasts and thugs who wear red hats.....and I believe in the importance of safety over the almighty dollar....

P.S. Unlike someone else's post, NY has flattened the curve and the rate is going down...while other states it is rising..I'd rather be the tortoise than the hare.....
When faced with facts that shatter their view, or see their argument faltering, the handwringers ultimately resort to "but what about the children?", as though it's "now you really need to agree with me".

ANY death, whether it be a baby, or someone who is 100 years old, is a tragedy.

For every case you present, there are tens of thousands of other cases of people who were suffering from "underlying conditions" (many of them self-inflicted due to years of imprudent life choices - BTW, this is an important discussion that never seems to be had) - and MILLIONS who either survived with mild symptoms, or no symptoms at all.

Is the life of a person who loses his business and blows his brains out or dies of an overdose worth any less? Or how about a cancer victim who dies because he can't get his chemotherapy treatments? And before you ask me to cite examples, I can't tell you about specifics on those people because it doesn't "fit the narrative", and therefore remains anonymous - but you'd have to have your head in the sand to assert that this is not happening.

When you step foot out your door, you subject yourself to death - whether being in a car wreck, being kidnapped by a carjacker, getting hit by a streetcar, or having a piece of space junk fall on you. Nobody ever said life would be a warm cocoon where there was no risk, nor should it be.

We "flattened the curve" which was the original deal. When the goalposts and rules get changed mid-game by the people we entrust to lead us, folks get upset and lose that trust. New York sent back the (unused) hospital ship, and closed the (unused) temporary hospital in the Javits Center. If they were expecting a rebound, why do this?

If you're afraid of the virus, by all means stay home. But allow the rest of us to go about our business, as guaranteed by the US Constitution.

Take precautions, yes - wash hands, keep your distance, don't blow your snot on others, even wear a mask if it makes you feel better. But these are things we should be doing ANYWAY (except for the mask, of course during normal times).

And, no, I'm not a thug, nor wear a red hat, but nice job tying this whole thing into politics, which is the LAST thing we should be resorting to right now.

(PS - before you accuse me of "not caring about the children", I have seven, and they are more valuable to me than ANYTHING this planet can possibly offer - so in advance, I ask that you don't preach to me on that topic.)
Last edited by roweenie on Fri May 15, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
User avatar
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 4274
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:55 am
Location: Bottom of Lake Erie

Re: Face Masks

Post by bisontuba »

:shock:
User avatar
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Lincoln, NE

Re: Face Masks

Post by gwwilk »

bisontuba wrote:Okee dokee....don't listen to doctors or scientists...best of luck....
We Americans value very highly our independence and our ability to think for ourselves. OK, here's a fact: I'm a physician who cared directly for patients from the 'Dark Ages' of 1968 through 2008. I'm an expert by your definition. But here's the thing: I spent all those years making patient care decisions based upon incomplete data riddled with assumptions. Demand absolute certainty and the moment will pass you by while you ponder and explore your options, i.e. your patient will move on to someone else who will render in a more timely manner a diagnosis and treatment they desire.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box and come up with answers for yourself. This is one of those times, because as any student of logic will tell you one especially seductive fallacy is argumentum ab auctoritate. You must pick and choose your authorities with great care. I don't trust a physician to properly supervise the reopening of our economy. The healer's bias will always be to minimize direct loss of life, not to maximize the speed with which we achieve a new normal, even though speed is clearly of the essence and even though the lives will eventually be lost anyway.

I have been very dissatisfied from day one with the supposed 'data' upon which very momentous and historic, nay monstrous, decisions have been made by those who have assumed the mantle of power via their bureaucratic bona fides and had the ear of our elected officials. We will long be paying, literally and figuratively, for the economic and social destruction that has occurred. We flattened the curve but at great cost. Let's move on.

Protect yourself, stay at home, and have all of your essentials delivered to you. Just don't expect all of your fellow independent Americans to do the same.

As a retiree, I miss most of all my musical group activities (oh, and my haircuts.) :(
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
Image
User avatar
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 4274
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:55 am
Location: Bottom of Lake Erie

Re: Face Masks

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote:I judge the whole thing to be brilliant.

Taking an actual epidemic (again, quite mild compared to many) and - via 24/7 media coverage, hyperbole and "statistics" - make it appear to be many times the threat that it is actually, is a magnificent way to promote suspicion of other individuals and to present Big Bro as everyone's only true friend...

...oh, and the vilifying of the non-mask-wears (even escalating to one-on-one violence, as well as fascistic arrests)...the coup de grâce...

...again: brilliant...magnificent
You mean like the person arrested in Michigan today for threatening to kill the governor and AG?
User avatar
Donn
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 5977
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Seattle, ☯

Re: Face Masks

Post by Donn »

The county here just made it official and announced that everyone must wear some face covering in various public contact type situations, like shopping or riding the bus. That's what pretty much everyone was doing anyway, and they have no intention of enforcing it, so really it's a very good thing: because now, they have some ownership over that policy, and it's clear that they need to rescind it once it isn't necessary. That moment would never occur, if we were just doing masks on our own, and surveys have been suggesting that people are ready to go around wearing face masks for months and months.

This is something a lot of the "we want our rights" crowd seems to have missed. There's massive support for the governors who have shut down their states' economies, like 3/4 of the public, and it isn't because they've been lied to. These policies are inevitable at the moment because people know too well what the alternative is. I think they aren't thinking as much as they should about the costs - which if you like could be measured in years of human life as well, for example from suicide. But it's hard to talk about that - doesn't fit the narrative as roweenie put it - because of the political nuttiness that has frothed up around this. Either you're with them, or you're against them and you're going to be lumped in with the knuckleheads who show up in the state capitol with firearms and erroneous ideas about the US constitution, etc. This is probably part of the game plan, to make sure that their faction doesn't get anywhere and actually get things opened up - and have to take some of the responsibility for what happens, as that's never been their strong point. But it's a shame.
User avatar
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Waiting on a vintage tow truck

Re: Face Masks

Post by roweenie »

Donn wrote:There's massive support for the governors who have shut down their states' economies, like 3/4 of the public
Where did you find this statistic, and which states does it apply to? How can anybody possibly know this figure accurately?

And, even if your statistic is accurate (which I do not grant you) the Bill of Rights doesn't make allowances for "3/4 of the people agree with whatever their governor wishes to do during a pandemic".

It's news to me that we threw away the Constitution in favor of popularity polls.

roweenie "the road to Hell is paved with 'good intentions' "
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 4230
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:44 am
Location: With my fellow Thought Criminals

Re: Face Masks

Post by Three Valves »

I’m getting $900/week for doing nothing.

You cut that off, I’m getting my pitch fork and torch!!

Sic Semper Tyrannis. :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves
Posts: 4230
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:44 am
Location: With my fellow Thought Criminals

Re: Face Masks

Post by Three Valves »

Um, No one said it was over, straw man. Jesus can you reduce the size of that post??

Thank You!! :tuba:
Last edited by Three Valves on Fri May 15, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:46 am
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Face Masks

Post by Ace »

Goodness, I'm almost sorry I'm the original poster of this thread. It started with this: https://youtu.be/U4c5eo_3-y0?t=7" target="_blank
From that very funny video, a hornet's nest of bull sh-t has emerged. Gawd. Get rid of the politics!!!

Ace
Post Reply