Baseball and Sousa

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Baseball and Sousa

Post by Ace »

I just ran across this passage in an online article about Jack Richardson, one of Sousa's bass players. Appears some of Sousa's players were sometimes recruited to play ball with local teams on the concert tour. Dual roles: Bass player and base player. Sorry about your pants, Jack.

"While on the road and in-between concerts, Sousa would make his band members don uniforms and take the field so he could play exhibition games against local teams. The tall tuba players apparently weren’t so nimble on the ball diamond. During one game, Richardson reached down to grab a grounder and split the back of his trousers. Sousa, who was usually the pitcher on the team, let out a hearty laugh."

Ace
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Baseball and Sousa

Post by Donn »

They were a power in Europe, when they toured there. No one played much baseball over there at the time, but they were apparently able to get a game going in France against the "American Guard", whatever that was, and they won.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

From my collection/archives...Sousa, as pitcher, with his team....and his composition for baseball....enjoy....

https://imgur.com/gallery/aabAiN9" target="_blank
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Which one is Sousa, then? I'm thinking the beard sitting in the middle, but that's only by process of elimination.

Somewhat later ...
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Yes, and that's JP Sousa Jr, with the uniform that says "Nassau".

Later on, the Sousa Band team would play against the Pryor Band team when they crossed paths, such as Willow Grove Pa. (I believe the picture below is in Asbury Park).

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Looks like a cheerleader at left front, but which side was she on?
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop