No play no how never?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

No play no how never?

Post by MaryAnn »

Starting to be glad I sold the NStar not because I don't miss it (I do, badly, perfect tuba for me) but because at least around here it's looking like it might be literally years before any large groups can safely rehearse. Ending with a string of whatever are your favorite swear words.

We almost have a brass quintet put together....could play sitting around the pool facing each other, distancing. However since it has already hit 106 here we can forget that until late October. More swear words. Even after dark it is hot, and noise laws prevent the 5 am necessary to not cook in the sun.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Re: No play no how never?

Post by Rick F »

MaryAnn, I think you’re right unfortunately. Even if groups can get back together if will be some time before audience members feel safe enough to attend a concert.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I thought you moved to VA??

Not like they are being let out any sooner, but at least it isn’t 106!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

MaryAnn wrote:it's looking like it might be literally years
And in that interval, the odds of another outbreak of another dangerous and highly infectious disease are considerable. So, yeah, the end of the wind instrument business particularly. Maybe you can go back to strings.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Last edited by bisontuba on Mon May 11, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Hope springs eternal. Yes, it will be a long time before anything else happens in the performance world. So I am taking this time to go through each of my instruments, brass, guitars and electric basses, etc., and either fix or have fixed all those niggles that have made themselves apparent over time. And being at home, it is a good opportunity to keep the brain occupied with something different, so I bought Chris' 183 to re-learn Eb fingerings, which I knew at one point some years ago and have completely forgotten, and hope for a small gig whenever, however, in the future, even if it has to be done virtually by simultaneous streaming.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

MaryAnn wrote:Starting to be glad I sold the NStar not because I don't miss it (I do, badly, perfect tuba for me) but because at least around here it's looking like it might be literally years before any large groups can safely rehearse. Ending with a string of whatever are your favorite swear words.

We almost have a brass quintet put together....could play sitting around the pool facing each other, distancing. However since it has already hit 106 here we can forget that until late October. More swear words. Even after dark it is hot, and noise laws prevent the 5 am necessary to not cook in the sun.
Rick F wrote:MaryAnn, I think you’re right unfortunately. Even if groups can get back together if will be some time before audience members feel safe enough to attend a concert.
Is this what withdrawal feels like? :(
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:Something tells me that the threat will be judged - by the experts/authorities - to be over by the middle of the first week of November, but the consequences of the shutdown will hurt billions of people for at least a decade...but so what, right?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Three Valves wrote:I thought you moved to VA??

Not like they are being let out any sooner, but at least it isn’t 106!!
Well....I tried like hell. The Universe said NO. I sold most of what I had to sell, including all my power tools, gave enormous amounts of stuff to Salvation Army, during a visit to VA signed a lease on the apt assuming my hydroxyl machines could clean the air well enough. Five weeks in, mold count higher than when I started. Invisible leak, the kinds of molds I tested for (the ones that produce toxins due to water leaks, not what you run into outside where it rains and is humid) went UP in count and not down. Place had a hidden leak, and the lease had an addendum I had to sign saying they were not responsible for mold (gee I wonder why?) ("The official stance in all of VA is "Mold is everywhere" -- and they REALLY don't understand the difference between toxic and non-toxic mold, or the threat of the toxic kind) so I ate the lease. Later, looked at houses on a different trip. Every single one I walked in had a crawl space full of mold I could even smell. Not possible to clean up and would kill me. So I am still here and *many* thousands of dollars gone. I just spent over $3k on this house to get the roof mounted HVAC cleaned up, and to my surprise it worked, meaning I don't have to live through months of 100+ temperatures at least this year.
You asked. I do fine outside in VA but cannot find a building I can live in there.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I bet 106 keeps the mold, and the tramps out!!

I’m sure that’s why many people choose AZ to retire to instead of FL.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Well, no, the mold is due to water damaged buildings, not climate, and we have a LOT of water damaged buildings here due to a) poor construction; b) lousy maintenance; c) sheer ignorance (shared with VA;) and d) swamp coolers. It is impossible to have a swamp cooler blowing through duct work during monsoon and not have mold growth. Doesn't bother 75% of the population and is lethal to the other 25%. I lived in a swamp cooled house for 12 years with no problem, because it didn't have significant water damage. Then my next house was fine until it developed a pipe leak hidden inside a wall, and seven years later I was about dead.