Definitely out of date

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Definitely out of date

Post by MaryAnn »

So Bestbuy locally is doing curbside pickup, with online order. Ok, that's fine with me. Except I pay for the order and get an email that it is ready to pick up and there is no way to contact them except via smart phone. I do not have a smart phone, and was unable to reach them in any way (from home before I left) by computer or regular phone. Deciding they do not want my business, I then cancelled the order since I have no way to pick it up. That much I could do online. There isn't any "contact us" function whatsoever. Welcome to the new world. Those of us who grew up talking to actual people who cared, are more and more in a state of shock and seek out those businesses where we still are talking to something other than a computer.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Definitely out of date

Post by bort »

I used a Windows Phone for many years, from the very beginning until the very painful end... I always thought (and still think) it's superior to Android and iPhone for many reasons. However, app developers never saw it this way, and Windows Phone never caught on. That means that app-based "stuff" just didn't exist in the Windows Phone world.

I remember numerous stores, where I'd try to take advantage of sales, promotions, coupons... to be turned down because I didn't have an Android or iPhone to pull it up. I had many conversations with people about "why does my choice of phone impact my ability to use a coupon?" Or like you've found, even the choice to have a smart phone at all. Mostly dead-ends, and lots of blank stares from employees and managers. Particularly when they realized it was someone in their 30s who wasn't fitting the expected mold of Android or iPhone. Some people would manually apply discount codes. Others just had no idea.

Eventually, even Microsoft ditched the Windows Phone, and that became the end of it for me.

I'm surprised though, that you couldn't just call the store when you got there, to tell them you are there. Seems to be how it goes everywhere else right now.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Side note -- this sounds like when you are at a store, talking to a sales rep, and they are like "sorry, that's out of stock. But I can order it for you." Thanks, but I could order it myself!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

MaryAnn wrote:So Bestbuy locally is doing curbside pickup, with online order. Ok, that's fine with me. Except I pay for the order and get an email that it is ready to pick up and there is no way to contact them except via smart phone. I do not have a smart phone, and was unable to reach them in any way (from home before I left) by computer or regular phone. Deciding they do not want my business, I then cancelled the order since I have no way to pick it up. That much I could do online. There isn't any "contact us" function whatsoever. Welcome to the new world. Those of us who grew up talking to actual people who cared, are more and more in a state of shock and seek out those businesses where we still are talking to something other than a computer.
I found that out a few years ago when I was between jobs. I went to ask to fill out an app and interview, and they said fill it out on line, don't call us, we'll call you. I am fortunate to now work at a firm that values the personal contact, even if it is structured due to current circumstances.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

The first time I went to the WAWA and they said I had to use the touch screen to order my hoagie, I was livid. Now I like it because when they put mayo on it, I can show them my receipt!!

No one, but no one, puts mayo on a hoagie!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

there are so many places that make it extremely difficult to reach them by phone these days. I love my smart phone and the ability to do things in a click or two, but so many things are complex or rare issues and far easier discussed in a back and forth fashion on the phone. Instead you get endless go to the faq is this your problem etc and none of them are or they want you to use the chat function & it's then an endless back and forth with somebody who is at the same time handling 20 or so different chats. What would be a 3-5 minute phone call results in a 30 minute chat that still doesn't resolve the issue. It's infuriating. My cable company absolutely doesn't want to talk with you and can I tell you how much I enjoy the chat function (NOT) with people in India who have very little knowledge to fix anything but pure technical issues. When they are really flummoxed they simply end the chat - same thing happens if you actually get a number to call them.
MaryAnn

Post by MaryAnn »

Well I can easily imagine what you catch, but what do you shoot?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Does that just mean you are “allowed” to kill them out of season??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I can walk to the DC line and we are overrun with the damn things...