When Did You Find This Community?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Re: When Did You Find This Community?

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Shortly before I joined.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Reading some of those posts from the old site brings two things to mind:

1 - it reminded me of how unwieldy and inconvenient the old format was compared to the one we have now

2 - the number of people who were against the switch at the time, and some who were so dead set against it that they actually said "good-bye forever" because of it

I don't know the first thing about how these things work "behind the curtain", but I've got to imagine this format is easier to maintain.

One thing I do lament is that the content seems to be no longer available (but probably necessary).
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

roweenie wrote:One thing I do lament is that the content seems to be no longer available (but probably necessary).
The old BBS content is still here, if that's what you mean. I just searched for bronze site:chisham.com and found among other things this item about Dillon mouthpieces Re: helleburg mouthpieces.

What I don't get any more, now that you mention it, is a bunch of message index pages - those dropped out of the search results for one reason or another, must have been a few years ago, and good riddance. You can tell which is old, and which is new - new content will be forums.chisham.com > viewtopic, old will be www.chisham.com > bbs > tips > ....

I didn't partake of the old system in its day, so I don't know, but ... it's awkward rummaging around for old content, with each comment on its own page, and I wish it used valid IDs. Of course missing all the bells and whistles we have now like signatures and avatars, which I could do without - speaking of web searches, those signatures are a nuisance.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Wow, I sure kicked the hornet's nest, didn't I?
Donn wrote:it's awkward rummaging around for old content, with each comment on its own page

And this is the exact reason why I find the newer site is more "user friendly", at least for me. While some come here almost exclusively to "shoot the $h!t" (which is perfectly ok, I do sometimes too) my primary purpose here is to find and share information, mostly on construction and stuff like that - so, as a result, I may be looking for info by searching posts that were made 10 years ago.

I'm really sorry if I caused offence - everyone's entitled to an opinion, and that's usually, ultimately based on one's own situation and needs. However, if for some reason we went back to the old format, it would make things more difficult for me, but it wouldn't be a game changer, by any means.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Everyone knows, you're mean.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

the elephant wrote:I am mean.
Do you really mean that? :tuba:
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I didn't find this community.
It found me.

Especially that mean Elephant! :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

the elephant wrote:
MartyNeilan wrote:1997 probably. I do remember that it was on dialup through Netcom.
Not Netcom, but nostalgic anyway. (Remember to set your timer and keep track of your minutes!)

I remember those sounds- that was probably a K56flex modem. x2 was much better.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

I think somewhere around 2003/2004. Haven't clicked through every month of the BBS archives to see when I first posted. Then ofcourse migrated over to this forum when it came. Must of been somewhere around 14-16 years old at the time.

I did ask Schlep (I think) a few years ago to change my username to *not* my full name. Mixed feelings on that. Nothing I post here am I ashamed/worried about, but when(if) folks google me for work things i'm not sure they'd be interested in my tubenet post :) Then again this nickname is somewhat linked professionally already, too.

Like others have dug through some of the BBS, and it's amazing some of the 'gems' in those archives. Just absolutely brilliant advice from many of you great players/teachers. Many still regulars here today.
Sammy00
lurker
lurker

Post by Sammy00 »

Last week
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

I came along about two months and visited every day. I did not even know about the other forums that are hidden until you log in until I joined up.
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

OOPS !

I mean I came along about two months before I signed up! heehee..

I guess that means I first found this in june or july of 2020 when I was stuck inside all the time. Some crazy stuff was happening that I could not see until I signed up, and then when I could see everything a lot of stuff had changed and some people decided to go elsewhere.

I like the for sale area best.