Frankensousa question

Repair and modification discussion
baridrummer
bugler
bugler

Frankensousa question

Post by baridrummer »

I am just geeky enough to dream of making my own frankentuba one day, but until I have the skills, space, and money to pursue that, I'm considering paying someone else to make one. That said, is it realistic to make a frankensousa from the body of a regular 3v tuba? Or is the wrap totally wrong for that purpose? I know someone who took the tubing and I assume valve section of a Bb sousa and welded them to a lightweight Eb sousa body, and ended up with a solid 18.5 pound sousaphone... so it's a really enticing possibility to me! Anyone have experience with such a project?
Yane
bugler
bugler

Re: Frankensousa question

Post by Yane »

I suspect many Eb Sousas use a Bb valve block with shorter loops already. Your idea isn’t impossible but I’ve seen some pretty awkward looking sousaphone and helicon builds using your approach.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
baridrummer
bugler
bugler

Post by baridrummer »

Maybe I should be more specific: If there's a good valve block and main tubing section of a standard Conn student tuba, do you think that can be welded/brazed/soldered to a narrow-bore Eb sousa body? Obviously I'm thinking of some specific horns, though I don't necessarily know of a specific person who would do that...
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

The issue is hard-brazing different knuckles out of the valves to the valve slides so everything aligns property in three dimensions. Compare a King sousaphone to a King tuba, whether front or top valve, or both, and you will be able to see what I mean, since King used the same bore valve block for all three instruments.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.