Leadpipe for B&S Imperial EEb

Repair and modification discussion
Grommit
bugler
bugler

Leadpipe for B&S Imperial EEb

Post by Grommit »

I'm going to put this question out there in hopes that somebody can point me in the right direction. I have a late 1970's B&H Imperial EEb that has had the original receiver replaced with a larger more contemporary receiver to accommodate the American shank mouthpieces. The horn was modified before it came into my possession. I am not an expert in these matters but I am wondering is this generally a good solution or is it better to fit a modern leadpipe from a Besson 981/2? I like the way this horn plays but there are some challenges that I can't help but feel may be caused by the receiver. If it is better to replace the entire leadpipe with a modern one are there any out there that someone would be willing to part with?

Any insight would be welcomed. Thanks.
VMI Mel Culbertson "Neptune"
B&S PT3
Miraphone 381 Bel Canto Solo
Yamaha YEB 321
B&H Imperial EEb
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Leadpipe for B&S Imperial EEb

Post by iiipopes »

What are the challenges? We need more information before we can recommend anything. In the meantime, have you tried either a Wick 3L or a Bach 24AW on the horn to see how it plays with either of those two traditional mouthpieces used with an EEb comp?
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Grommit
bugler
bugler

Post by Grommit »

I'll try both of those mouthpieces and see what happens. If things are just the same I'll list the issues I'm encountering.
VMI Mel Culbertson "Neptune"
B&S PT3
Miraphone 381 Bel Canto Solo
Yamaha YEB 321
B&H Imperial EEb
Bbfoghorn
bugler
bugler

Post by Bbfoghorn »

I realize this thread is a year-plus old. I had a 3v Besson Eb that had the small shank and smaller leadpipe. I put a 981 leadpipe on it with American receiver and it played wonderfully. Currently play a 981, American shank that plays great with the 2.5cc (Heritage), and a Houser Mp with a selmansberger solo rim. I found the wick 3L to be a bit limiting with either Eb horn. On the other hand, I acquired a Besson 3v comp that had the 17" bell replaced with a 19". Intonation was all over the place. The Wick 3L works great on that horn, the 2.5cc even better. Made Intonation set-it-and-forget-it. Foggy