Leadpipe for B&S Imperial EEb

Repair and modification discussion
Grommit
bugler
bugler

Leadpipe for B&S Imperial EEb

Post by Grommit »

I'm going to put this question out there in hopes that somebody can point me in the right direction. I have a late 1970's B&H Imperial EEb that has had the original receiver replaced with a larger more contemporary receiver to accommodate the American shank mouthpieces. The horn was modified before it came into my possession. I am not an expert in these matters but I am wondering is this generally a good solution or is it better to fit a modern leadpipe from a Besson 981/2? I like the way this horn plays but there are some challenges that I can't help but feel may be caused by the receiver. If it is better to replace the entire leadpipe with a modern one are there any out there that someone would be willing to part with?

Any insight would be welcomed. Thanks.
VMI Mel Culbertson "Neptune"
B&S PT3
Miraphone 381 Bel Canto Solo
Yamaha YEB 321
B&H Imperial EEb
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Leadpipe for B&S Imperial EEb

Post by iiipopes »

What are the challenges? We need more information before we can recommend anything. In the meantime, have you tried either a Wick 3L or a Bach 24AW on the horn to see how it plays with either of those two traditional mouthpieces used with an EEb comp?
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Grommit
bugler
bugler

Post by Grommit »

I'll try both of those mouthpieces and see what happens. If things are just the same I'll list the issues I'm encountering.
VMI Mel Culbertson "Neptune"
B&S PT3
Miraphone 381 Bel Canto Solo
Yamaha YEB 321
B&H Imperial EEb
Bbfoghorn
bugler
bugler

Post by Bbfoghorn »

I realize this thread is a year-plus old. I had a 3v Besson Eb that had the small shank and smaller leadpipe. I put a 981 leadpipe on it with American receiver and it played wonderfully. Currently play a 981, American shank that plays great with the 2.5cc (Heritage), and a Houser Mp with a selmansberger solo rim. I found the wick 3L to be a bit limiting with either Eb horn. On the other hand, I acquired a Besson 3v comp that had the 17" bell replaced with a 19". Intonation was all over the place. The Wick 3L works great on that horn, the 2.5cc even better. Made Intonation set-it-and-forget-it. Foggy