What do You Use in Your Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Repair and modification discussion
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

What do You Use in Your Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Post by tylerferris1213 »

Hello everyone! I bought my ultrasonic cleaner second-hand from a shop that was going out of business. The owner gave me a mostly empty jug of the chemical they used and had success with. Unfortunately the label was unreadable and they couldn't remember where they got it. Well, I ran out and bought what I thought would be a good cleaning agent. I was wrong. I dipped a test instrument, and it turned all of the lacquer white and started peeling it up. What do you all use and where can I get it?
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
shawnv
lurker
lurker

Re: What do You Use in Your Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Post by shawnv »

Pretty sure we use Classic Brass from Votaw in a 10-1 dilution ratio. 10 parts water for 1 part Classic Brass. We also use Power Brass from votaw as a pre treatment for really bad stuff. That's a 4-1 dilution. I think both require hazmat shipping though and that gets pricey. The power brass heavily tarnishes silver so be aware of that.

When laquer turns white or foggy I've used either wenol, or meguires car polish to bring it back. In my experience there's not a perfect solution for laquer loss. Old lacquer seems to be more susceptible to loss when going through the ultrasonic, but different laquers will react in different ways to whatever chemical you choose.