Saturn H2O key on a rotary BAT

Repair and modification discussion
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Saturn H2O key on a rotary BAT

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Here's the thing. On my rotary "Neptune", the standard water key is on the MTS at a point where I have to tip the tuba over at a somewhat severe angle. I'm thinking of having that water key removed and patched over, and having a Saturn key placed closer to the true bottom of the MTS. How difficult (or not) is it to patch over a water key hole? . . . Does it make sense for me to place the Saturn water key more towards the bottom of the bow, so less or zero tipping of the tuba is necessary? . . . Lastly, I have to turn the tuba round and round at the end of the night, to get water out of one of the bottom bows that doesn't have a water key. Would it make sense for me to figure which bow(s) is collecting water, and have a Saturn key placed there also? . . . I'm old, and the constant turning 'thang' on a heavy BAT is not so good for me.

OK, if you're a tech and you're still with me - and if you're interested in doing the work - please raise your hand if you'd like to do the job. I could ship the MTS to you, but I would need a fairly fast turn-around. The job would be to remove and patch over the existing water key, and adding a Saturn key somewhere more towards the bottom of the bow (on the MTS).

Thank you in advance.

Barry Guerrero

B&S rotary Neptune CC
four different mouthpieces for various moods and hours of the day (the main one being a Wick "Heritage" 2.5 CC)
(older) Wessex F cimbasso with valves that are a pain
Wick "Heritage" 3SL ("S" for shallow)
Craigtbone
bugler
bugler

Re: Saturn H2O key on a rotary BAT

Post by Craigtbone »

I had Saturn valves installed on my Conn 3J because the original valves were snagging on my clothes. My primary instrument is trombone but 3 years ago our church tubist switched to euphonium because the tuba was too heavy for him. I bought his tuba. I had Saturn valves installed on a few of my tbones and liked them.

On the tuba it seems as if they do not drain as easily as the original lever valves. I wish a larger version of the Saturn valve was available.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Your last sentence is really good information. I was wondering if the key should be bigger for tubas. Thanks.
Craigtbone
bugler
bugler

Post by Craigtbone »

I was also contemplating having a Saturn valve installed on the third bow in from the bell. That seems to be where the water condenses. It takes three revolutions to drain that water on my 3J.