Change bumpers on piston tops of Besson Eb tuba?

Repair and modification discussion
willako
bugler
bugler

Change bumpers on piston tops of Besson Eb tuba?

Post by willako »

Hi,
I bought a Besson three-valve compensating Eb tuba (made in 1981). On the tops of the pistons, there are some bumpers (that's my word) with a rectangular shape. I have never seen those in online shops with parts. Where I live (Athens, Greece), there are no repair shops with expertise in brass instruments.

Do you think I need to change them ever? Where would I get them? I don't have a problem with those bumpers at the moment, but I like to think ahead. I could not upload a photo. Thanks alot. Bill.
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Change bumpers on piston tops of Besson Eb tuba?

Post by tylerferris1213 »

You probably want new felts on top of the pistons and under the finger buttons. Maybe someone with access to a Besson tuba could measure it and tell you what thicknesses to use?
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
willako
bugler
bugler

Post by willako »

Thanks a lot, Tyler.
Bbfoghorn
bugler
bugler

Post by Bbfoghorn »

I realize this is an older post. I've found that McQueens (sp) in the UK is THE authority on Bessons and Boosey as they have the exclusive contract to repair His Majesties Instruments. They are very informative and helpful. Also take a trip on Ebay UK and search Besson or Boosey. They sell cork and felt kits for them. Also on USA Ebay. Beware the Chinese and Indian copies. Foggy