Getzen CB50/G50 with Stofer Mods & York Bell

Repair and modification discussion
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Getzen CB50/G50 with Stofer Mods & York Bell

Post by tylerferris1213 »

So I've happily owned my CB-50 for over ten years. I replaced the factory bell with an original York bell and the results were fantastic! Then I took it to Lee Stofer who re-braced it and corrected the taper in the leadpipe among other things. The end result is arguably one of the best quintet tubas you could ask for, and it has the horsepower to support an orchestra. I used it for band, orchestra, and quintets during my undergrad with great success. I also used it over my other horns when I did four concerts with the Firelands Symphony Orchestra last year. What I'm saying is that this thing is a hot rod.

Fast forward to now and I'm an instrument repair technician. I saw another Getzen pop up for sale within driving distance of me, so I went out and bought it. I also talked at length with Lee Stofer about wanting to do his modifications and he gave me his blessing. I also happen to have a York with bad valves, but the bell has basically all the original silver intact! Lee is going to send me some OEM braces and all the other parts he adds/replaces for his Stofer Custom CC, and I'm going to rebuild this Getzen from the ground up.

If anyone is looking for such a horn, shoot me an email at tylerferris1213@gmail.com for more information!
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF