Strip the nickel pistons before replating?

Repair and modification discussion
willako
bugler
bugler

Strip the nickel pistons before replating?

Post by willako »

Hi,

I would like to replate the pistons on my 1981 Besson three-valve compensating Eb tuba. I want to make the pistons the best that they can be now. Where I live, there aren't highly trained technicians as there are in the US or UK and other countries.

Should the nickel be stripped from the pistons before replating? Why does the nickel start to flake off some pistons after replating (as I have read). Thanks for any suggestions. Bill.
Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Strip the nickel pistons before replating?

Post by Daniel C. Oberloh »

Plated pistons should always be free of previous nickel plating, glass bead blasted and trued by external honing, prior to replating and sizing. Bond failure or deliamination of plating is typically as hygiene issue caused by typical surface contamination such as oil and grease. Improper execution of the electro cleaning and other processes can create surface oxidation that can also lead to plating bond failure.
Last edited by Daniel C. Oberloh on Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
willako
bugler
bugler

Re: Strip the nickel pistons before replating?

Post by willako »

Thank you so much for your expert opinion. I live in Greece. Our best technician (works on all instruments) replated the pistons on an old Mahillon Eb tuba I have and everything seems to be ok so far. When he got them, there was just copper plating, I think. I have a 1981 Besson 3-valve compensating Eb tuba, which plays ok, but I wouldn't mind making the valves work the best that they can. With appreciation, Bill.