Time to finish my double bell tuba

Repair and modification discussion
Binawhile
lurker
lurker

Time to finish my double bell tuba

Post by Binawhile »

This thread could probably live in the "Wanting To Buy" forum but I'm posting here to share the project and get some advice.

This 1925 Buescher has been through a few mods. It came to me as a small bore 3v front action. I added a 4th valve and played it a lot. When an unknown .687" 3v cluster popped up, I ripped it apart and started rough fitting what was meant to be a 4 piston/1 rotor setup. I had just finished cobbling together random tubing lengths and bits from the parts bin to get it playing when a couple bass trombone/tuba/cimbasso doubling gigs fell in my lap. As a proud double bell euphonium owner/player, I couldn't resist. I added the Salvationist Publishing baritone bell I had saved for a cimbasso project to the rotor and, voi-la! A double bell tuba!

I played it a few times, then shelved it, waiting for parts to finish it properly, then kind of forgot about it... 'till now! For a start, I need long lengths of .687" tubing and some matching outer slide sections. My supplier went under which is part of the reason I paused. I'd like some advice for a new mouthpipe also. I'm hoping to deepen the tone and open up the low end. I'll probably upsize the receiver as well which means I'll be needing some mouthpiece recommendations. Finally, I might be in the market for one of the one-piece Buescher recording bells... But realize that's a stretch.

Any advice, sources, and parts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! More pictures and work gets done.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z8u12_ ... p=drivesdk
Binawhile
lurker
lurker

Re: Time to finish my double bell tuba

Post by Binawhile »

tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: Time to finish my double bell tuba

Post by tclements »

AWESOME!!!!!