turning a 4+1 tuba into a 5v right thumb trigger

Repair and modification discussion
IronySoup
lurker
lurker

turning a 4+1 tuba into a 5v right thumb trigger

Post by IronySoup »

I'm interested in this tuba that's a 4+1 combination with a left hand fifth valve, and want to know if it would be possible, or plausible to switch the fifth valve from left hand to a right thumb trigger. if so, how much should I expect that to cost?

(also, I'm considering taking that tuba which already has some lacquer damage and stripping the lacquer off. is that reasonable?)

thanks for all the replies!
:tuba:
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Re: turning a 4+1 tuba into a 5v right thumb trigger

Post by daktx2 »

Howdy! This is a very commonly done modification, particularly to older Miraphone / B&S/ other German tubas that were 4+1 from the factory. Your repairperson could probably quote you the approximate cost if you show them a photo of the instrument in its current setup. Parts cost can be pretty variable, generic / scrap bin paddles and linkages aren't that expensive, but if you're particular about matching the look of the parts to the look of the other rotors, you might be in for more expense.

For stripping the lacquer, my advice is to search tubenet, there have been rivers of ink spilled about the process on this forum in the past. It's definitely possible, but requires pretty caustic chemicals and is generally an unpleasant process.
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba