fixed another "semi-famous" instrument today

Repair and modification discussion
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: fixed another "semi-famous" instrument today

Post by The Big Ben »

There *are* some benefits from just plain being around a long time.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I play in a community ensemble where several of the players played with my Dad in National Guard band as young men, now sixty years ago. To be able to sit in section with them is of inestimable worth to hear about the concerts they played with Dad, since he died when I was young before he could tell me about them.

I also played Dad's trumpet, also changed from lacquer to silverplate (cosmetic elective back in the late '70's), until it was stolen from me.

These are the anecdotes that make music all that more worthwhile. Thanks for relating.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:

factoid: *Jack Hale is an Apache Indian. 8) His son, Jack Hale, Jr. (who is my age) was an employee (somewhat of a "manager") of John Cash for several years. Occasionally, when one of John's concerts would be broadcast, I would see Jack, Jr. on stage playing harmonica...or maracas...or something else...

Jack Hale with his silver Conn 78H trombone
I always wanted hair like that, but you gotta be a bad-*** to have bad-*** hair and I just ain't. :(

I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.