Does my Euph Leadpipe need Adjustment?

Repair and modification discussion
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Does my Euph Leadpipe need Adjustment?

Post by tbonesullivan »

I've been playing more euphonium lately, and as a "downstream" player, I find it hard to get in a comfortable playing position with my horn. Looking at pictures of other Euphoniums, I can't tell if the leadpipe has already been adjusted or not. It seems to angle downwards slightly, and I'm used to seeing them angled pretty much at a 90 degree angle to the horn.

Does it look like my leadpipe has been bent downwards a bit? I tried to get the photos as straight on as possible.

Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

Re: Does my Euph Leadpipe need Adjustment?

Post by KingBassTrombone »

It may have been built to suit a slightly more angled/closer-to-horizontal horn position. You could get it adjusted to fit your particular playing style, that's up to you.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

KingBassTrombone wrote:It may have been built to suit a slightly more angled/closer-to-horizontal horn position. You could get it adjusted to fit your particular playing style, that's up to you.
Yeah, there is some sign of soldering around the brace. It's possible that it took a hit as well, as it's definitely a horn that had some marching miles put on it, as far as I can tell. I've never had a euphonium before, so I wasn't sure if that was the regular angle that the receiver "should" be at.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

bloke wrote:2D pictures can be deceptive, but it looks screwed up to me.
(I've mounted quite a few euphonium mouthpipes on quite a few models.)
Yeah, it does, the more I look at it and play it. I mean it's not horribly out of alignment, but I end up having to hold the euph at a kinda strange angle to get the mouthpiece comfy, and that can't be good. I also compared it to the leadpipe on my Yamaha Tuba, and that thing is precisely 90 degrees.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

It's soldered directly to the bell (thankfully) for most of the length, so the only part I can really feel a little bit "oval" is about an inch or so from the receiver. I just can't tell if it took a hit or if someone "adjusted" the angle. It's not majorly messed up, from what I can tell. I'll probably just bring it along in one of my regular trips to Dillon music when I "need" to spend a few hours playing on lots of trombones.