Silver Plate Touch Up?

Repair and modification discussion
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Silver Plate Touch Up?

Post by tbonesullivan »

I freely admit that I'm OCD when it comes to instrument, car, motorcycle, etc condition. Well, now I've got some silver plated instruments, and with that, a few areas where the plating has eroded and started to flake/wear through. I was wondering if there was any good product for "touching up" a silver plated finish on German Silver. I've seen a few polishes that claim to leave a thin layer of silver when they are done, but I didn't know if those are for real or not.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Silver Plate Touch Up?

Post by iiipopes »

Caswell?
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Mark Finley wrote:This stuff really works. I did a thread about it

Liquid Silver Plating Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006U14Q1W/re ... AEbG7GW19H" target="_blank" target="_blank
SWEET!!! It's for two tiny spots on my Yamaha 631 3rd valve tubing where it's started to bubble up, from some previous owner. It's not even on where I currently hold it when using the 4th valve. I'm really starting to like that tuba.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

bloke wrote:Touch-ups might (??) great for for-sale pic's, but - in the practical sense - they are nearly always touching up high-contact areas, only add immeasurably-thin metal on to the base metal, and are quickly worn back off.
It's not where I grip the horn.. or where I think any normal person would, unless they never used the +1 valve on the side. The hand rest by the valves has no plating issues at all, and neither does the rest of the horn, which is why it's strange.

I was also considering just polishing the area, and using some nail polish to cover the spots.
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

tbonesullivan wrote: I was also considering just polishing the area, and using some nail polish to cover the spots.
Suddenly I'm wishing for an airbrush with nail lacquer thinned just right... vintage 90's nail art... I have a couple of beat up trombones that might actually play better after such abuse... :twisted:
Old Ugly - a Jupiter JCP -384 tuba
1916 Buescher Eb
Elkhart Conn 62H Bass Trombone
American Standard 1929 Bb Baritone
Beaufort 1920's Euphonium
1960's Bundy oboe - family heirloom, has been played by three generations