Silver finish

Repair and modification discussion
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Silver finish

Post by Patrase »

Hi

I am getting a used silver tuba. Price and performance cant be beat, less than 50% than a new one and it plays great. They are rare to see second hand. Its silver plated, but I really don't like silver plated tubas, I much prefer lacquer. I just don't like looking at a dirty silver all the time and then cleaning it. Finding a second hand lacquered one for the same price is nigh on impossible, so a lacquered one is not an option.

Can a silver tuba be 'lacquered' or have some sort of coating applied to make it less maintenance? Without affecting 'the sound" :tuba:

Or do I just grin (or more correctly buzz) and bear it?
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Silver finish

Post by marccromme »

Actually silver plating is relatively easy to keep nice. You soak and lightly scub every 6 month or year in luke warm soap water, using a soft dish brush. Then rinse in warm water, dry with towel, and give it a few strokes with a silver cloth. That's it. No fluid silver polish, please, it makes a mess. And accept a bit of black tarnish in-between as a classy statement.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

Maybe I should strip the silver off and sell the silver so I can hoard stuff haha
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

My response is more along the amateur hour line -

Most people have to pay extra for real silver plating on modern horns. Yes, you can strip it and have it laquered. It will cost you money to have it done right. Unless you have the facilities to do a very good lacquer job (and I'm not referring to a couple cans of Krylon) then you're best off making friends with hagerty silver polish - the aerosol or the pump spray kind. I use the pump-spray bottle. It comes out pink. It wipes off. Put a town down under it. Be prepared to have to get into fine spaces if you aren't being careful.

My silver instruments are a baritone and a euphonium. I don't spend a ton of time polishing them. They stay shiny. Well, as shiny as 100 year old silver plate gets when one is determined to keep the patina and one of them has a satin finish. Only if I've been doing a deep clean. My tubas both have gold lacquer. Well, mostly. Sorta mostly. My primary horn is incredibly scratched up; I play on a beat-up Jupiter BBb middle-school reject horn. . My Eb is 100 years old and shows it. Sooo...
Old Ugly - a Jupiter JCP -384 tuba
1916 Buescher Eb
Elkhart Conn 62H Bass Trombone
American Standard 1929 Bb Baritone
Beaufort 1920's Euphonium
1960's Bundy oboe - family heirloom, has been played by three generations