Reynolds Valve Stem?

Repair and modification discussion
Portermusic
lurker
lurker

Reynolds Valve Stem?

Post by Portermusic »

Hello all. I'm currently restoring an old Reynolds, 3 valve horn, and need a replacement valve stem. I'm tried the spares I have on hand, but they don't work. Does anyone know where to get one? Also, the first valve (the one with the missing stem), is barely moving, and I'm concerned I may need to replace the whole valve, so any ideas on where I might find that would be helpful as well. I've tried to date this horn, but the serial number is a bit mysterious. The bell stencil says it was made in Abilene, Texas by FA Reynolds, yet, the serial number is 762334, which seems like on "Olds" serial number. I think they may have been sharing parts at that time, before the Abilene shop closed up, so it's possible an Olds valve stem might work as well.
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Re: Reynolds Valve Stem?

Post by Matt Walters »

Google pictures of an Olds 99. If that looks like your Reynolds, it was indeed made from the same tooling and an Olds valve stem/piston will work.
Allied (the parts supply people) may be out of Bach Mercedes pistons but may still have some valve stems in stock. Yes, Selmer (Bach) bought the Olds 99 tooling and made the same horn for a while under the Bach name.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.