Rotor Help in MW 2182

Repair and modification discussion
PMAKH
bugler
bugler

Rotor Help in MW 2182

Post by PMAKH »

Hello!

The thumb operated rotor on my MW 2182 hits a slight scratchy snag halfway thru the rotation. I am able to full depress the rotor, but halfway it feels scratchy. I have oiled the rotor on both ends and thru slides. I have oiled the moving links as well. If i ever so slightly push left when pressing the thumb down it operates smoothly. It only scratches when pressing directly down. Anyone have any ideas? Will continuing to play this way damage the rotor? I live two hours away from the nearest shop, so it'll be a week or so before I can take it in.
Irving Atrixco
BME student at Arkansas Tech University
Meinl Weston 2182 F Tuba
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Rotor Help in MW 2182

Post by bort »

You could also give the top of the rotor stem a whack with a rawhide mallet to see if that helps to seat things and get them settled in a little better. Before taking it apart.

Actually, I need to do this to my Alex for the same reason. But, with 2 little kids as my shadow, it seems like a horrible idea to do this right now.

Mark is right, disassembling a rotor isn't so bad, and actually is very educational. I think it's important to learn how it all works, and remove the mystery of the rotary valve. It's really pretty simple. Just make sure you have the right tools first!
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Re: Rotor Help in MW 2182

Post by daktx2 »

The Funderburk videos are an extremely good starting point.

http://www.dwerden.com/music-videos/tub ... Funderburk
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba