Issues with the PT-6 springs

Repair and modification discussion
Kpen
bugler
bugler

Issues with the PT-6 springs

Post by Kpen »

Hey Tubenet, I've been having some issues with my springs making noise when I push down and release the pistons and kinda the same issue with the 5th valve trigger. I know the springs are in there straight and in the slot they are supposed to be in. It is only the 1st and 4th valve, and the 4th is significantly worse. I have a PVAK on the horn but that is how I bought it so I can't change that (hopefully not part of the issue). The noise from the 5th valve spring mechanism is only when I release and only if I release it fast. Do y'all have any tips for getting rid of the extra sound?
B&S PT-6P (3198)
Eastman EBF 864
Eastman EBB 431
Kpen
bugler
bugler

Re: Issues with the PT-6 springs

Post by Kpen »

I can double-check to make sure the springs are in the circular cut-outs again. The spring noise is louder than the O-rings and it also rings for a little. The noise from the 5th is very dead and loud.
B&S PT-6P (3198)
Eastman EBF 864
Eastman EBB 431
bgozdowski
bugler
bugler

Re: Issues with the PT-6 springs

Post by bgozdowski »

Try putting the springs in place by removing the back cap and holding it in place. You may also try adding a dab of grease to both ends of the spring. Not too much, though. Also, springs wear out ofter a bit. There's usually something coating the springs to make them quieter, and this wears off after a while and the springs get noisy. Maybe you just need to buy new ones.

As far as the 5th rotor goes, try oiling the spring with bearing and linkage oil instead of rotor oil. It' will give it a thicker coating.