Looking for: Conn 38K Lower Mouthpipe (Gooseneck) & bracing

Repair and modification discussion
oscarcahue
bugler
bugler

Looking for: Conn 38K Lower Mouthpipe (Gooseneck) & bracing

Post by oscarcahue »

Hey guys,

Would one of the Repair shops get me a quote for a silver plated lower mouthpipe (Gooseneck) for a Conn 38k (I believe it's the same as the 14k one).

I've found one online from Vowatool but they only sell the raw brass component & I'd rather have a shop get me one plated already. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of finding a place or shipping to Anderson.

What I haven't been able to find is the Goose neck braces?
Any help there? Mine is missing them all.

Thank you.
1940 Conn 32k Sousaphone
1962 Conn 20k Sousaphone
1920 Conn 38k Sousaphone
Wessex Bb Mighty Midget
Reynolds Contempora Bb Tuba
1965 King 1250 Sousaphone (Sold)
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Looking for: Conn 38K Lower Mouthpipe (Gooseneck) & brac

Post by toobagrowl »

Found a silverplated lower mouthpipe: https://www.ebay.com/c/1280852140

They are expensive. I think your best bet for the bracing would be to just search for the modern 20k mouthpipe bracing as the old vintage bracing is more scarce :idea:
oscarcahue
bugler
bugler

Post by oscarcahue »

toobagrowl wrote:Found a silverplated lower mouthpipe: https://www.ebay.com/c/1280852140

They are expensive. I think your best bet for the bracing would be to just search for the modern 20k mouthpipe bracing as the old vintage bracing is more scarce :idea:
Yes, I saw that but that's for a 20k.
The Conn 38k had a gooseneck like the 14k.

I've seen people replace it with the 20k online but my friend told me they did thay to his and the neck did not end up at the correct angle.

Yeah seems like the bracing for the 14k is non existant. Not sure what a good place would be to get them fabricated either.. As a braceless gooseneck will get damaged again most likely.
1940 Conn 32k Sousaphone
1962 Conn 20k Sousaphone
1920 Conn 38k Sousaphone
Wessex Bb Mighty Midget
oscarcahue
bugler
bugler

Post by oscarcahue »

bloke wrote:If your budget is actually that high, I don't mind selling you a solid/original/pre-war vintage/thick one (not Texas-made nor Allied aftermarket. and not "the wide-looping one that is really only for the 20K short-action").

bloke "not a parts-seller (as I purchase/hoard parts to use for repair work, and not for resale), but this price point - candidly - caught my interest"

Can you send me a picture and your selling price?
I found a shop that would be able to order me the Allied one but if yours comes with braces. I may take you up on it.
1940 Conn 32k Sousaphone
1962 Conn 20k Sousaphone
1920 Conn 38k Sousaphone
Wessex Bb Mighty Midget
oscarcahue
bugler
bugler

Post by oscarcahue »

bloke wrote:OK...
They posted about an hour ago in another forum, and no response here.
I'm tacking these parts back on to their valveset, and putting them back in the attic.

99% of parts requests are from bargain hunters, rather than - strictly - parts hunters.
Again, if "bargain"-priced, I'd just as soon hold on to them for my own customers' future needs.
The New silver plated 14k Gooseneck is a little cheaper than the 20K one. It's only $90.
https://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/p ... s_id=28975" target="_blank

I was debating whether paying $50 more was worth it for your used one with the two braces. But didn't want to offend you with a lower price.
No hard feelings. You can hold on to them.
1940 Conn 32k Sousaphone
1962 Conn 20k Sousaphone
1920 Conn 38k Sousaphone
Wessex Bb Mighty Midget
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

I had no idea there was that much difference between the lower mouthpipes on the Elkhart Conn sousas. There was obvious repair done (including a large patch) on the lower mouthpipe on my 14k.
Personally, I'd just grab the 20k lower mouthpipe and do a little work on it to fit my Elkhart 14k if I needed to replace it. I usually go for the easiest way to get parts and don't necessarily need the 'factory correct' parts; just parts I can make work. That's just me, though.

Besides, I think the lower mouthpipe design and bell elbow are canted at a sort of weird angle on the 14k -- my forehead nearly touches the bottom of the bell, even with both bits and the bell turned pretty far left. I do not have this 'issue' with really any other sousa. Mostly, I wish Conn had canted the bell elbow section a little more upwards :idea: