Is it possible to build a 4 valve on top euphonium?

Repair and modification discussion
Ann Reid
bugler
bugler

Is it possible to build a 4 valve on top euphonium?

Post by Ann Reid »

As a reformed woodwind player, I think I’d like to try one.

I’ve been playing a Westivo, and all of my Pandemic Practicing has kicked up a repetitive stress injury in my wrists, so I wondered if switching between 4 in front and 4 on top might help.

Not too keen on 3+1.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Is it possible to build a 4 valve on top euphonium?

Post by bort »

Yamaha YEP-321, among others...

KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

Post by KingBassTrombone »

It should be noted that if you're wanting 4 top-action valves that are also compensating, there aren't any horns on the market that tick both of those boxes. If it's not a big deal, the Yamaha YEP-321 is a solid choice.

If you're after building something that does tick both boxes, it would be difficult but not impossible. I'm thinking that if a builder had access to a pair of Besson euphoniums- a 3v compensator and a 4v (3+1) compensator- that one could graft the 3v comp's 3rd valve onto the end of the 3v block from the 3+1 compensator. The grafted piston would need its slide re-wrapped and extended to F, and with some clever plumbing, I reckon it just might work...
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I have not seen a 4-inline comp euph, but unless a player habitually delves into the suboctave region, there are only two notes in the bass clef that need compensation: 2+4 2nd line B natural, and below the staff E natural. Everything else from bottom of the staff F on up are the same whether comp or non-comp. All single valve notes are the same, including 4 alone for third space C and bottom of the staff F. All 1+2 and 2+3 combinations are the same. Only combinations using 4 plus another valve are affected, and are the only notes a conventional 4-valve comp change.

The purpose to this comparison is that if you are a community band player that the repertoire is never or seldom below bottom of the staff F, you don't need a comp instrument.

Oh - and another good non-comp 4-inline instrument not mentioned is the King.

And for something completely different, if a comp is the horn to have, Wessex makes an all-front piston 4-valve comp euph.

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/eu ... nium-ep104" target="_blank
Wessex Festivo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.