Martin Mammoth bit measures

Repair and modification discussion
Branko Herzberg
lurker
lurker

Martin Mammoth bit measures

Post by Branko Herzberg »

Hey there, dear Martin Friends,

since I'm a very happy owner and user of a 1956 Martin Mammoth Tuba that (of course) didn't come with the original bits and unfortunately not even the original receiver.
Now my "tuba doc", the wonderful Jake Kline with his brass workshop "The Berliner Tuba" wants me to rebuild a pair of Martin bit replicas. But since there are so little of them around - especially in Europe - I'd ne very greatful If someone of You American Martin owners and experts could give me some detailed measures of bits (preferably for a Martin Mammoth Model from the 1950s).
If You look at the attached Photo You can see what measures I need: it's the exact inner AND outer diameters of the male ends of both bits (I think that's the way it's called). Regardless if inch or mm - it Just should be precise.
So, if anyone should have some original Martin bits (or well made replicas) please bei so kind and help me out with these details. I'm waiting to usw the full capacity of this beautiful horn, but I already know that I'll never get there with the two rusty souzy bits that came with it.

And if anyone of You should be interested to also have Jake make him a nice pair of Bit replicas, please let me or him know.

Kind regards from Berlin
Benni
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Branko Herzberg
lurker
lurker

Re: Martin Mammoth bit measures

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion of Martin Wilk's bit replicas. Indeed I had already thought about that possibility.
However, since my Martin tuba doesn't only lack the bits but also the original receiver with the screw on it, I'd need Jake to take care of that part anyway; and so I'd like to also have him rebuild me a pair of replica bits if possible (so it would be all in his hands and I could possibly also save the costs of international shipping and extra taxes for intercontinental purchases).
Anyway, we don't have the necessary measurements at hand (inner and outer diameters of the male parts of both bits) and so I wondered if some other Martin owner who has some original bits (or copies) might be so kind to take the measures of them and send me those details...
(I have read so much about how the original bits are supposed to work as some kind of sophisticated lead pipe on those horns rather than just a simple link or extention as normal sousy bits - and I'm really keen to push this beautiful instrument to it's potentials with a proper setup!)
Branko Herzberg
lurker
lurker

Re: Martin Mammoth bit measures

YORK-aholic, thank You very much for taking the time to measure those Bits for me.
I'm sure that will give Jake already a much better idea.

P.S.: By the way, last fall I got me some custom made gigbags for my Martin since the original cases proved to be all too heavy and bulgy when crusing through Berlin via public transport (like many people in Berlin I have no car). It was a very good decision after having browsed the Web (and especially tubenet) for a long time surching for other gigbag solutions for a recroding bell tuba in two parts.
The bags are very nicely made (even though the bell bag got a bit heavy - but also quite sturdy).
I might upload some pics some other day...

Greetings to the US
Benni