Alto Tuba

Repair and modification discussion
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Alto Tuba

Post by tobysima` »

So, I was talking to Bret Newton (Yes, the person who wrote Bandestration) about the possibilities of an alto tuba. Now, I know he's not a tubist, but he said something about a four-valve compensating alto tuba in f, styled like a british euphonium. This raises a couple questions for me, and hopefully someone has some degree of opinion/answer for me. Should the tubing of this alto tuba go above the valves like a euphonium, or below like a baritone? Also, should it take a large shank euphonium mouthpiece, small shank trombone mouthpiece, or something like the alto horn, or maybe a completely new shank? I definitely think it should be in the key of F, though.
Toby Simard
Current Stable:
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Conn Helleberg 120S
Mark

Re: Alto Tuba

Post by Mark »

Pitched between a euphonium and a trumpet?
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Post by tobysima` »

Mark wrote:Pitched between a euphonium and a trumpet?
Yes. The same F as a mellophone :D That way maybe KIng's Singers pieces can be played by tuba ensembles, and maybe new fun solo stuff too!
Toby Simard
Current Stable:
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Post by tobysima` »

the elephant wrote:That is essentially what we in the US would call an Alto Horn (tenor horn in the UK system), and they are in Eb. Find an old King and cut it to F, then figure out your valves. Word of warning: the Americn ones all pretty much suck. (No real market, so not much R&D, I guess.) Perhaps a larger leadpipe and mouthpiece would help, but it won't be much.

At least looks these up and look at how they have been wrapped. I think you can also look them up under the name of "altonium"…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor_horn

Other instruments in this zone would be the F mellophone and the F alto flugelhorn. Most of these horns suffer from the same weird intonation, again, I believe, due to a lack of R&D because not many people want these.
I know Bret Newton says that the alto horn is the alto voice of a cornet but I don't necessarily understand the taxonomy? of instruments much. Would a british one be better in tune and to work with? Should I just learn Eb as well?
Toby Simard
Current Stable:
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Post by tobysima` »

bloke wrote:<sidebar>

sort of related, I guess...?? ...and I've posted about this before, so... :oops:

I have one of those sorta-French-horn-shaped "mellophone"-ish instruments - except it is in C - and those in C are/were called "ballad horns".

Mine's Czech-made and in remarkable condition. The raw nickel-silver pistons are not worn. It has crooks for Bb and A, but plays best in C.

The mouthpiece I use is a prototype TINY (trombone mouthpiece frame) bass trumpet mouthpiece that I would like to market, someday...

INTONATION of this particular instrument:
ONLY a flat 5th partial (as with rotary Miraphone and Meinl-Weston B-flat tubas

Every once in a while, I will pull it out and play Mozart horn concertos (as I don't have the skill - with such instruments - to play Strauss, or anything harder than Mozart) at actual pitch.
I DO put my hand in the bell, and "open" for the 5th partial (to raise the pitch).

Again, this is a 3-piston OLD-style "mellophone-LOOKING" instrument, except with a longer (8 feet long) bugle.

This picture is NOT mine...(Mine's actually in better condition), but is a picture on the web...Notice (again) the additional "windings" in the bugle

</sidebar>
Maybe I'll look for one of those! Maybe something like that could work really well! I bet it's really fun to play! And you've peaked my interest with that mouthpiece!
Toby Simard
Current Stable:
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

tobysima` wrote: I know Bret Newton says that the alto horn is the alto voice of a cornet but I don't necessarily understand the taxonomy? of instruments much. Would a british one be better in tune and to work with? Should I just learn Eb as well?
Yes. Learn eb. There are plenty of good British style alto horns in EB. Not hard to find a good one used either.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Post by tobysima` »

marccromme wrote:
Yes. Learn eb. There are plenty of good British style alto horns in EB. Not hard to find a good one used either.
Alright. I'll try and figure eb out then. Once I get my hands on an alto horn though.
Toby Simard
Current Stable:
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Post by tobysima` »

Mark Finley wrote:I have an F alto horn. It's made by miraphone
What model is it? :tuba:
Toby Simard
Current Stable:
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Post by tobysima` »

Mark Finley wrote:
tobysima` wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:I have an F alto horn. It's made by miraphone
What model is it? :tuba:

Not sure. They call it a contra alto. It's left handed
Seems like it was made for French Horn players!
Toby Simard
Current Stable:
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Post by tobysima` »

bloke wrote:<sidebar>

sort of related, I guess...?? ...and I've posted about this before, so... :oops:

I have one of those sorta-French-horn-shaped "mellophone"-ish instruments - except it is in C - and those in C are/were called "ballad horns".

Mine's Czech-made and in remarkable condition. The raw nickel-silver pistons are not worn. It has crooks for Bb and A, but plays best in C.

The mouthpiece I use is a prototype TINY (trombone mouthpiece frame) bass trumpet mouthpiece that I would like to market, someday...

INTONATION of this particular instrument:
ONLY a flat 5th partial (as with rotary Miraphone and Meinl-Weston B-flat tubas

Every once in a while, I will pull it out and play Mozart horn concertos (as I don't have the skill - with such instruments - to play Strauss, or anything harder than Mozart) at actual pitch.
I DO put my hand in the bell, and "open" for the 5th partial (to raise the pitch).

Again, this is a 3-piston OLD-style "mellophone-LOOKING" instrument, except with a longer (8 feet long) bugle.

This picture is NOT mine...(Mine's actually in better condition), but is a picture on the web...Notice (again) the additional "windings" in the bugle

</sidebar>
I think the St. Petersburg Althorn would be the best instrument to fill the alto tuba position. It has a .512" bore and a 9" bell. I'd just have to either make a decently large alto horn mouthpiece that I could play, or change the shank size to small trombone so I could use a 6.5 AL or a SM6U baritone. What is the cup diameter on your mouthpiece, Bloke?
Toby Simard
Current Stable: