Yamaha YBB-321/201 bugle with King FA valve/slide assembly?

Repair and modification discussion
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Yamaha YBB-321/201 bugle with King FA valve/slide assembly?

Post by WakinAZ »

Has anyone ever attempted putting old style King valves and slides (or other maker for that matter, although King seems to be the popular Franken-choice since they are good quality and there's tons of them around) on a Yamaha YBB-321/201 bugle?

Any obvious mismatch or shortcomings? I ask this in complete ignorance - I have no instrument building skills and would hire this out after acquiring the parts.. (However I did once hacksaw a UMI-era slide to make it removable/usable :shock:).

TIA,
Eric L.
Last edited by WakinAZ on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Yamaha YBB-321/201 bugle with King FA valve/slide assemb

Post by bort »

Dan Schultz(sp?) made a front action Yamaha Eb... You can look it up on his website.
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

Something like this?
http://galvanizedjazz.com/tuba/4sale/TubasForSale.html" target="_blank
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

Post by KingBassTrombone »

The 321/201 are 0.730" bore horns. A valve set from a Conn with 0.734" bore would fit almost perfectly, I think... maybe an old Conn Monster valve set, or a setup derived from a Conn sousa. I want to put a 20K short-action valve set on one of those bodies someday.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

KingBassTrombone wrote:The 321/201 are 0.730" bore horns. A valve set from a Conn with 0.734" bore would fit almost perfectly, I think... maybe an old Conn Monster valve set, or a setup derived from a Conn sousa. I want to put a 20K short-action valve set on one of those bodies someday.
Maybe.

I do think that the YBB-321 has "too much bore". Compared to the YBB-631 and YBB-632 which both have a smaller (0.689") bore and required slower leadpipe taper, the YBB-321 (in my experience) has some weird inconsistencies across the registers with both pitch and feel. A proper leadpipe and King 2341 valve set might be a much-needed improvement.

Makes me wonder why Yamaha doesn't take that YBB-621 valve cluster and work it into a YBB-321 body. It might be a solid tuba and give the 2341 and others a run for the money regarding easy-to-blow and decent sound output.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ I dunno, I think the .728" valve bore is just about right on the YBB-321/201 tubas. Yamaha changed that bugle a bit over the years, including the leadpipe. The older 1970s - early 80s models featured a smaller leadpipe (among a few other minor differences), that I feel make it more responsive than the modern version. Aside from the sharp Eb-F-G 6th partial and flat 1st space Ab, they play pretty well in tune with a big 'vanilla' sound that blends well in band.

Since the bugle is ridiculously open-wrap, (with the top bow only a couple inches from the bell rim) I have thought a more compact-wrap version with front piston valves would make an even better tuba.
Pasting a .687" King valveset onto that bugle might work. However, the YBB-321/201 bugle uses a very short leadpipe since it is based off the old Besson BBb tubas. So it would require a bit more engineering to do it right than at first glance :idea:
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

A King valveset would take some work, but could give OK results.

With that said, a Weril 18.5mm (.728") set would be an identical match, or a Conn .734" would be just as good, IMO.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

T. J. Ricer wrote:Something like this?
http://galvanizedjazz.com/tuba/4sale/TubasForSale.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Yup.