F to Eb

Repair and modification discussion
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

F to Eb

Post by eupho »

What modifications, besides a longer main tuning slide, would need to be made to an inexpensive F tuba to turn it into an Eb?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: F to Eb

Post by iiipopes »

Pull the individual valve slides to pitch. Caveat: this introduces more cylindrical tubing into the mix. Intonation of a horn is a balance of cylindrical and conical tubing to get the partial series spaced properly, especially at the octaves. Generally, the more conical, the more compressed the octaves, and the more cylindrical, the more expanded the octaves. So changing a horn from F to Eb might foul up intonation, or it might make it better, or change which notes have issues. There is no way to tell beforehand.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
2ba4t
bugler
bugler

Post by 2ba4t »

The best method I found was not to make an entirely new slide but to add a double U loop to the bell end of the main tuning slide. Most techs have a drawer full of old slides and tubing. Some old BBb U bends may just fit fine. The F tuning slide then can slide into that and the Eb crook slide back into the bugle. The job should be at first a quick trial to see if she blows. I have not found any difference in having a tapered Eb crook. This also works on a CC to BBb.

If the horn - in its as made state as an F - blows really well then the best alternative - if worth it - is to place a fifth valve either at the end of the mouthpipe before the valves or possibly after them. This will - when not pressed down - add the Eb extra tubing. However, when operated it will cut out that Eb extra length and create temporarily an F tuba- i.e. it is an ascending valve. When it is pressed down the horn goes back into F and then you can play a resounding (open fundamental ) lowest F1 and E1 with the second valve etc. You then have plenty of extra valves for the fourth valve notes above those. This also allows you to play E2 with just the second valve, F2 open etc. Also, of course, all harmonics above this are available and high notes can be rendered better in tune and easier.

This is not as difficult as it sounds. Most second-hand rotary valves are in pretty good condition. There are heaps of scrapped tuba bits in existence. My preferred horn is a fabulous old Cverney F with a wide bore, double U bend Eb crook stuck on the bell end of the main slide. I made it gradually widening in stages. I have found that extra cylindrical sections are not so terrible. There are many excellent horns with ascending (cylindrical) valves out there.

But ask an older, experienced tech. He will probably dismiss me as a crazy amateur.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Interesting! Thanks for the info.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)