Polymerized rotary valves

Repair and modification discussion
Eskimogolfer
lurker
lurker

Polymerized rotary valves

Post by Eskimogolfer »

I recently got into cooking with cast iron. Many of you know, maybe, that the standard treatment for a cast iron pan is to heat treat the pan with cooking oil to get it past its smoke point for at least an hour in order to polymerize the oil to the pan to make the pan "NON-STICK". And if you do it right, the pan in absolutely the most non-stick pan I've ever used.

I was oiling my valves recently and thought, "there must be a better way to make my valves less sticky... non-stick". And thats when it hit me, why can't I use the same technique that cooks use to polymerize oil and metal to their pans, but use that on my rotary valves?

I definitely don't want to sacrifice my valves for a stupid science experiment... but tis a tempting idea. What do you think?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Polymerized rotary valves

Post by Dan Schultz »

I would advise against doing this simply because with properly fitted rotors the rotor body does not come in contact with the inside of the housing. The are only four contact points in a properly fit rotor: the radial bearing at the front of the housing that support the front rotor spindle, the radial bearing in the rear bearing cap that supports the rear spindle, the thrust bearing at the front of the housing, and the thrust bearing on the rear bearing cap.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.