French horn bumper

Repair and modification discussion
windmill
bugler
bugler

French horn bumper

Post by windmill »

Hi guys,

Maybe this is something someone can help point the way. My wife is a French horn player and she would like to find a source for those cool silicone bumpers for the roter stop. Can anyone suggest a source? Does someone make these for specific models?

She has been struggling with diy wine cork bumpers but I know there must be a better way.

Thanks!
Mirafone 188 2003
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: French horn bumper

Post by Dan Schultz »

McMaster-Carr sells red Silicone cord in various sizes. I stock several diameters and could guess what you need and just send you enough for a horn repair but it would be better if you can tell me the diameter your horn takes.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
windmill
bugler
bugler

Post by windmill »

Well the Reynolds has larger cavities that are more angular and could take a 5/8 rod with a little cutting. The Conn looks like a 3/8...there are so many different rubber types on the website. Which variety/hardness works best for this application?
Mirafone 188 2003
windmill
bugler
bugler

Post by windmill »

PM sent.
Mirafone 188 2003
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

windmill wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:49 amPM sent.
Sorry... I just saw your private message. Are the bumper plates on your Reynolds F horn made of sheet brass with trapezoidal areas to hold pieces of cork or rubber? If so... the round Silicone cord I have won't work.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.