WTB: CC Tuba Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment not on eBay

Moderator: Uber Moderators

WTB: CC Tuba

Postby TWBandMOM » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:45 am

We are located in the Dallas metro. My son is a high school student wanting to learn the CC tuba. His wish list is 4/4 or 5/4, 5 valve - rotary or piston. Hard case would be nice to have. He does not want to purchase without play testing first.

For you Dallas area tuba players that own 6 tubas and only want to part with your baby to someone local that will take very good care of it, keep it thru college and beyond, and attend Tuba Christmas every year so you can visit, this would be ideal.

He aspires to audition and play for the GDYO.
He does not intend to major in music, but does intend to play through college.

His high school may be getting Bb Miraphone 191s next year, so we would want a CC that makes sense and is essentially "better" than a brand new 191 that we get for free. :lol:

Your expert advice as well as potential tubas within driving distance would be appreciated.
TWBandMOM
lurker
lurker

Re: WTB: CC Tuba

Postby talleyrand » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:57 am

I'm not sure many folks here are going to stand up and say that any tuba (at least any tuba that makes rational sense for a high school student who isn't going to major in music to own) is better as an instrument than a 191. But a good tuba that belongs to him will be "better" just because it's his.
talleyrand
5 valves
5 valves

Postby DaTweeka » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:36 pm

TubeNet User goodgigs is selling a 4v piston CC. Looks to be about a 5/4, maybe a 5/4+. I think he settled on a price of about $2K. I'd buy it my self, but I'm a po' boy... He lives out in Cali, so it won't be exactly within convenient driving distance; but at that price, it could be worth a try. It's listed in the For Sale section as the stealth tuba. And in case you haven't seen it yet, it's kinda... made out of plastic...
DaTweeka
bugler
bugler

Postby jeopardymaster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:21 pm

I've never played it, but this 188 looks like a good one. For what it's worth, 191s are good horns too, and one can play a BBb in an orchestra. If your son is the best player, there is a good chance he will get the "gig" whatever he is playing on. (No guarantees, though, and I speak from the experience of many years ago - sometimes the best player doesn't win.)

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52186#p447458
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Cerveny 601 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
jeopardymaster
5 valves
5 valves

Postby TWBandMOM » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:53 am

talleyrand wrote:I'm not sure many folks here are going to stand up and say that any tuba (at least any tuba that makes rational sense for a high school student who isn't going to major in music to own) is better as an instrument than a 191. But a good tuba that belongs to him will be "better" just because it's his.

This is the general response that our private lesson instructor is expecting.

If we acquire a CC tuba, we are not in a real hurry, but would like to take advantage of a good opportunity if it arises. And, I am open to consider the clones - if we can play test first. Just wish there was one place to go to try out various brands. And, it would be nice to know that the tubas are consistent if they are the same brand and model - which does not appear to be the case.
TWBandMOM
lurker
lurker

Postby goodgigs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Contact this guy. I believe he has a low rick trial available. I think all you'ld loose is shiping, and maybe not that !
If this is a good example, it is a great horn. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261168892596?ss ... 1423.l2649" target="_blank

PS oh I just re read the add - you gotta try it !
Brian "Goodgigs" Kane
goodgigs
6 valves
6 valves

Postby DaTweeka » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:10 pm

If you want to play test the stamp horns, then I would go to Tom McGrady of Mack Brass. His return policy is stellar, and his horns are top quality (he's sold about 150 euphs this year, and hasn't gotten a return yet). And if you're looking at trying out a whole bunch of top-end horns, there's only a few stores in the US to go to, but they're all top-notch; it all depends on where you're located, and how far you want to drive.
DaTweeka
bugler
bugler

Postby Euphtub » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:19 pm

My final suggestion, if you don't like the one Saturday, would be to hold off until TBA in July. I'm pretty sure most companies will be down in San Antonio.

Michael
Euphtub
bugler
bugler

Postby 58mark » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Congrats to TWBandMOM and her son for their purchase of Jason Wallace's BEAUTIFUL silver Thor. It stretched the budget to the limit, but in the end the family now has one of, if not the FINEST tubas I've ever played.

I'm proud to have such an amazing student supported by equally amazing parents.
Mark

Cerveny Piggy, Cerveny 601, 1903 Conn 5V Eb, Besson 3v compensating Euph
58mark
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Euphtub » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Good for him, Mark! I'm glad they found something and it worked out for Jason.

-Michael (also a private teacher)
Euphtub
bugler
bugler

Postby talleyrand » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:37 am

Alrighty then. So much the worse for my quaint theory about what is rational. :shock:
talleyrand
5 valves
5 valves

Postby TWBandMOM » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:16 am

talleyrand wrote:Alrighty then. So much the worse for my quaint theory about what is rational. :shock:

Rational was definitely not part of the decision-making process! I learned some things from you on Tubenet and speaking personally to tuba players, something about a horn "speaking to you" and "a near religious experience when you find the horn that is supposed to be yours". I don't pretend to understand it.

I showed my son the for sale post for Jason's Thor, and he said, "yeah, that is the tuba I tried at Blast of Brass two years ago," the very one that got him on this path to wanting to own a CC. The very one that he was holding other tubas up against in his tuba mind. And, he just happened to be wearing his BOB t-shirt. . .

Thank you to the Tubenet community.
TWBandMOM
lurker
lurker

Return to For Sale