FS: 1967 Mirafone 186 BBb - Denver, CO

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

FS: 1967 Mirafone 186 BBb - Denver, CO

Post by tmz1m »

I purchased this fantastic horn last year on Tubenet and am passing it back along. This is one of ~5 186s I've owned at various points and the first "old" one. It's a great horn and lives up to its reputation. I believe it came through Dan's shop ~3 years ago based on my discussion with the prior owner. I'm just not playing at the moment and hate to see it sit in the corner. The condition is unchanged from the prior owner's description from a year ago:

The horn itself is in raw brass, and is in excellent condition for its age. There aren't any major dents to speak of, just a minor ding in the crook of the 4th valve slide. The valves are smooth and quiet, and it still has its original bell garland. If you look at the pictures, (link below) you'll notice it has 'Bd. of Ed N.Y.C. 1967' engraved under the logo and serial number. The first valve slide is a bit stiff from the recent lack of use at the moment, but I can smooth it back out. This horn has an excellent sound, and an easy low range. I had it cleaned a few months ago, and it's spent most of the time since then sitting unplayed. The only other work I've had done to this horn was to set a larger screw into one of the rotor plates, as the old screw was loose.

The horn includes a navy-blue, cordura Cronkhite bag that fits like a glove.

I'm a bit hesitant to ship given that I don't have a tuba box sitting around and there's only a bag for it at the moment, but if you're willing to take the risk and will pay for the shipping materials, I would consider it -- but local pick-up is definitely preferred. $2800 for the tuba and bag.

Last edited by tmz1m on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone
Ethan M
bugler
bugler

Re: FS: 1967 Mirafone BBb - Denver, CO

Post by Ethan M »

Gosh. I'm the previous owner of this horn; I'd buy it back in a heartbeat if I could justify it! It plays great, sounds great, and looks great (I've always liked the patina this horn developed over the time I owned it). I had the bag made by Glenn when I bought the horn from Dan Schultz; that would make it between 3 and 4 years old. This is a good deal; somebody will be happy with this tuba!
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

Thanks Ethan. It really is a great horn and I’m hoping it finds a good home.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

bump
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Re: FS: 1967 Mirafone 186 BBb - Denver, CO

Post by tmz1m »

A fair amount of interest, but nothing super serious. Definitely open to offers on this.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Re: FS: 1967 Mirafone 186 BBb - Denver, CO

Post by tmz1m »

bump
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves