Customized Thor-MW5450

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Aaron Tindall
3 valves
3 valves

Customized Thor-MW5450

Post by Aaron Tindall »

Up for sale is my Raw Brass modified MW Thor 5450. It is in great condition.

This horn has been completely taken apart, and reassembled by me (yes, I know how to do this), and features quite a few modifications to the instrument (leadpipe/other tubing). I won't get into the specifics here, and will only do so for a serious buyer.

-has lightweight MAW valve stems, valve buttons, MAW alignment kit, and slightly bored out valves.

The instrument does not sound like a "stock" Thor at all. Think of a deep 6/4 sound that steers like a 5/4. I've done a lot of work to it to make it as "point and shoot" as possible.

I've had a lot of success on this instrument in the last year and a half, and a few other pros can attest to how good this thing is. I'm only selling it to make a much bigger purchase in the near future, otherwise I wouldn't let it go.

Comes with a MW gig bag - $15,500

I'm in Miami, and also on the West Coast of Florida-Sarasota/Tampa easily. Uship.com would be my preference to get the instrument safely to the buyer. They are very reasonable.
Last edited by Aaron Tindall on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron Tindall
Principal Tuba - Naples Philharmonic
Frost School of Music - University of Miami
Tuba Professor- The Colburn School
Principal Tuba & Faculty - Eastern Music Festival
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Customized Thor-MW5450

Post by Aubrey Foard »

I have to emphasize that I'm not exaggerating when I say this: Aaron's Thor is one of the best tubas I've ever played. I would be severely tempted to buy it myself if I had a little more financial flexibility.

The mods that Aaron has done to this instrument has made it a little more free-blowing, which has actually improved the response significantly. The sound of the horn is HUGE for a 5/4 tuba and competes favorably in auditions with larger instruments. The sound is very warm and even throughout all registers, but you can really crank on it if needed. Like all Thors, pitch is reliable.

This is a great instrument for an aspiring professional or someone who's on the cusp of winning a job but needs a better axe. I will be a little bit jealous of whoever ends up with this horn, but I'll be glad they made a great choice.

Cheers,
Aubrey Foard
Principal Tuba, Charlotte Symphony
Faculty, UCLA & Brevard Music Center
johnhadden
bugler
bugler

Post by johnhadden »

I've I could get $15k for my Nirschl I would be on this right now. But with my wedding next week and all of the costs associated with that there's no way I can consider the buy.

I'm sure the horn is a one of a kind DREAM horn!
John Hadden
Brass Development Coordinator, Buffet Crampon USA
(904) 412-3682
john.hadden@buffetcrampon.com" target="_blank
Aaron Tindall
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Aaron Tindall »

ON HOLD

Thanks for all of the interest
Aaron Tindall